Still on apps

I just noticed that on the WD Learning Center page there are listed 13 apps available for installation on WDMC EX2. Among these there’s also a Dropbox syncing app…

When I go to the apps section on the dashboard, only 10 apps appear to be avilable for installation (Dropbox sync app is not among them).

So, I am wondering what’s wrong here? I really hoped that WD would get their act together and push on offering more and more apps to prosumers on WDMC EX machines (like other companies do for these kind of devices)… but now it seems there’s not even a correct track of apps available… really frustrating…

Hi nicolapizza,

Can you tell me where you went to on the learning center and what OS was chosen in the upper right corner of the screen? When I tested it, it only showed me 6 apps availabe for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

LB_WD wrote:

Hi nicolapizza,

Can you tell me where you went to on the learning center and what OS was chosen in the upper right corner of the screen? When I tested it, it only showed me 6 apps availabe for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=faqs&device=mcp2&faq=thirdParty

Thanks for the image. This is in the help/how to section. This list of apps can change as apps are added or removed. To see the actual list of available apps for the unit you would need to go to the EX2’s interface. I apologize that this app is listed there but is not availabe. I have sent a message to our team web team.

thanks LB and thanks Cybernut for helping out… i have been busy so i could not respond…

i still believe WDMC EX2 is a great device… i have been betatesting it, and - besides its shortcomings and bugs - i still think it is great!

it just lacks a GOOD or at least decent apps section, offering AT LEAST sync with major consumer cloud services (dropbox, onedrive, etc) and a good VPN service like OpenVPN (which, btw, is already installed to connect to WD servers).

at that point i would go all the way to reccomend it to my colleagues and friends… but now i do not feel like doing so.

still hoping, tho…

No problem, nicolapizza. BTW, I wonder if you are the same guy who used a different username on this forum before - nicopizza, by any chance? Because the earliest private message I had got right after I had posted a message here about being able to use SFTP (after my firmware hack back in April, just two weeks after EX2’s launch) was from this nicopizza. I wonder if that was you or someone else.

Yep, it’s me… I had to change account cause i changed mail.
I recall you writing about openvpn… Any news on that? I believe we can’t expect any app from WD anyway. I know someone managed to use the openvpn server installed on MCEX2 to access it from the web, but so far he hasn’t shared anything…

Ok…so it is you, as I thought.

As for openvpn…no, i never did anything with openvpn. I simply enabled sshd’s built-in SFTP server but it is a complicated process requiring custom compiling the firmware.

I see… I tried FTP as well, but did not serve me as I wanted some sort of “remote (internet) mapping” of my shares on MCEX2…

Anyways, at this page member rubikcubic says he used the already installed openvpn in MyCloud for his purposes.

I tried to contact him and asked for a step-by-step help, but although he said he would look into it, so far he did not offer much help… maybe if more people ask him he will offer some insights…

Thanks for that link, nicolapizza. I would like to remind you that the My Cloud’s firmware codebase is very different than EX2’s. There’s a lot of things that you can do in the My Cloud product that you just cannot on the EX2, esp. when it comes to customizing and adding additional software packages. The best and often the only way to implement custom changes I have found is by compiling the firmware code (with my custom changes baked-in) into my own custom firmware. But I also realize that solution won’t work for most people.

BTW, I am not sure what you mean exactly by ‘remote (Internet) mapping’ but if you meant mapped drives to EX2 shares over the Internet, then WebDAV is probably going to be your best way to connect from a Windows PC (using mapped drives to your shares from Windows Explorer). You can even do secure, encrypted WebDAV too. There is a post about that on the EX2 subforum by Vertech1 and I posted a solution in that post. That might be perhaps your ideal connect method.

thanks Cybernut… I’ll continue on that post…

the dropbox app is still there and not in the admin panel…