Skip to next chapter

I have the WD TV Live Hub media player and I can’t figure out why I cannot skip to the next chapter in my movies.  The movies are in MKV format, which supports chapters and I can skip to chapters using VLC Media Player, but when I press NEXT on the remote for WD TV Live Hub, it skips to the next movie file, not the next chapter.  Am I missing something?

rchap1 wrote:

when I press NEXT on the remote for WD TV Live Hub, it skips to the next movie file, not the next chapter.   Am I missing something?

That’s not a feature the Hub has.    The Live Streaming Media Player just got that function in the last firmware update, but it appears there’s no more updates coming for the Hub.

To change chapters, you need to press OPTIONS (during playback) – View Chapter – and select a chapter.

Thanks.  That definitely explains it.  I bought this about a month ago, and now it has disappeared from WD’s product website, so maybe it is discontinued.  Would explain why there are no updates coming.  I bought this unit because it did say that it had chapter support functionality, and the user manual even says so.  That’s a little more than misleading and an outright falsehood.  Maybe that is why they discontinued it. 

rchap1 wrote:

I bought this unit because it did say that it had chapter support functionality, and the user manual even says so.  That’s a little more than misleading and an outright falsehood.

The user manual explains exactly how chapter support works – no falsehoods at all.

The user manual does state it supports chapter play, for formats that support chapter play, which MKV certainly does.  However, I try using the remote, as instructed in the user manual to press NEXT to skip to the next chapter, and that does not happen.  Below is the language copied directly from Page 42 of the User Manual:

Video Playback Controls

Use these buttons on the remote control to control video playback:

Button Function

STOP

Discontinues video playback

PAUSE/PLAY

Pauses or resumes video playback

1. Press FF (fast forward) or REV

(reverse) to scan video (press

repeatedly to select the scan speed)

1. Press PAUSE/PLAY to resume

playback on the selected position

Scans the video playback forward or backward

The media center supports the following scan speeds:

2x, 4x, 8x, 16x

NEXT

• Plays the next video file in the video folder/playlist

• Press during Fast Forward to skip forward 10

minutes.

• Press NEXT to skip to the next chapter (if the

video file supports chapters).

PREV

• Plays the previous video file in the video folder/

playlist

• Press during Fast Reverse to skip back 10 minutes.

• Press PREV to skip to the previous chapter (if the

video file supports chapters).

Up arrow • Move subtitles up on the screen.

Down arrow • Move subtitles down on the screen.

Left arrow • Reduce subtitle display speed.

Right arrow • Increase subtitle display speed.

Subtitle•

Audio•

But your initial response contradicted this stating that the Hub didn’t allow for chapter skipping.  According to the manual it does, yet I cannot skip chapters following the instructions in the manual.  Either the manual is wrong, or there is some other setting, not disclosed in the manual that I am missing that would allow me to skip chapters.  The manual is a bit confusing, because it lists several functions that the NEXT button performs while in video playback mode.  In my case, it isn’t performing the function that I want it to, though the manual clearly says it does.

Wow.  Yeah, I think you’ve found a bug – in the manual.

You’re right, it is confusing.

I think the way the manual is written, only DVDs support chapters (the way the manual uses the term.)

And yes, the >>| and |<< buttons DO work that way with DVDs.

Everything else is a “Multichapter Video File,” which is described on the next page:

View Chapter

• If you are viewing a multichapter video file, you can select which chapter to play. 
  • To select the video chapter:
  1. Press Options. 

2. Highlight View Chapter, then press OK.

3. Press / to highlight your chapter selection, then press OK twice.

Definitely a poor distinction.

Thanks Tony.  I was beginning to think I was losing my grasp on the English language.  Not being able to skip chapters with the NEXT button is a fairly minor thing I guess, but it would be more useful than skipping to the next file as turns out to be the case.  And, since there appear to be no more updates coming, I guess I’m out of luck.

Pressing    >>|    works fine on my WDTV Live Hub and my WDTV Live SMP to advance to the next chapter.  I only use VOB files though.