Sharing of individual subfolders

Hello, I have two MyCloud Homes which suited my needs perfectly before the app use was shut down. Now I’ve had to do quite a few workarounds to get what I want and I may have hit a bit of a wall. I set up the local access quite some time ago, and even setup a VPN so that I can access the drive on another network (using the web access is just not handy most of the time).

The problem I have now, is that we have a situation where we have the public folder open to anyone on the network, and my personal user folder, of which, I want to share a subfolder to specific devices. It seems like that is not possible. What would you recommend in this situation? Maybe create another user and put the information we’d like to share amongst devices there?

The My Cloud Home (MCH) public spaces (Public and Time machine) was designed only to be used for backup purposes as opposed to the private space.

From your description, there is really no compelling reason to have the functionality of the desktop integration of the WD Discovery software, which is to say what is available for MCH is working fine for non-commercial use.

The browser webapp is perfectly fine for the home use and that is what it is designed to do, organize data and sharing a few files or folder and subfolder between designated users or owner.

shared using webapp

My Cloud Home owners may have misgivings about the way WD Discovery was introduced in 2018, re-vamped in 2019 and then deprecated in 2023 with a 16 months warning period given. In the end it was all about the large excess cloud resources drained by an inexpensive device that was produced for the home without a subscription fee and never meant to be used commercially for the desktop when clearly many owners were doing so for up to 30 users.

In spite of the notoriety, in January of 2024, WD Discovery for the desktop is in fact still operable for a few who never abused it and know how to maintain it properly for operation.

WDD in Jan 2024 with Windows 11