Sharespace Not Visible and Won't Install

I am new to home networking and NAS systems and having real trouble with the installation of my new Sharespace.

I have spent hours reading information to try and resolve my issues and have resorted to posting a plea for help on this forum, hopefully some kind should will be able to provide some guidance.

The key points:

1.  WD Discovery Tool  displays this message when I try to install “No network devices were discovered”

2.  I can access the Sharespace through my web browser

3.  I can access the Sharespace through Explorer Tool Bar on XP

4.  The Sharespace does not show on My Network Places

Any help on completing the installation would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

salami wrote:

I am new to home networking and NAS systems and having real trouble with the installation of my new Sharespace.

I have spent hours reading information to try and resolve my issues and have resorted to posting a plea for help on this forum, hopefully some kind should will be able to provide some guidance.

The key points:

1.  WD Discovery Tool  displays this message when I try to install “No network devices were discovered”
  1.  I can access the Sharespace through my web browser
  1.  I can access the Sharespace through Explorer Tool Bar on XP
  1.  The Sharespace does not show on My Network Places

Any help on completing the installation would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

• *> Are you able to log into the sharespace through internet explorer?> If so, have you done the following:> Something like http://<sharespace_ip_address> - you can get the IP from the router.> This should give you the interface to the sharespace. if so, click ADVANCED and then NETWORK.>  Click WORKGROUP  and check the the WORKGROUP name is consistent with the rest of your network. Click SUBMIT- NB: This is one of the most common reasons other devices can’t be seen on a local network, i.e. devices are assigned different workgroup names. Linux folks will know what I mean :)> > Then click NETWORK and LAN - now make sure DHCP is selected. Click SUBMIT> Maybe reboot the Sharespace for good luck and then try again.> Post back if further explanation or help is needed.> > > > > >
1 Like

GuiGuy,

I have followed the steps and I can now see/access the Sharespace under: My Network Places>Workgroup.

Is this now the installation complete even though I have not run the WD setup software CD and installed either WD Discovery Tool, WD Anywhere Backup or MioNet?

Thanks for your help so far - I am so much happier now I can see it on my network, but I’m not convinced I’ve properly installed everything needed?

Hi,

Sorry, I can’t advise you on the specific software because I don’t have a sharespace. I returned it within a week or so of buying it.

When I did have one I did the set-up and maintenance out of the web browser as I am mostly a Linux user. As far as my only Window (7) PC was concerned it accessed the Sharespace immediately, although network access was incredibly slow.

So, are you able to read and write files to it? Can you “map” the drive(s) in Windows?

Edit: AFAIK and AFAICR, you should be able to configure the entire WD Sharespace out of the web browser. Use the Advanced option. Be careful enabling the services; ask yourself if you really need them. They will slow the thing down even more.

Thanks again for the info.

I can now access the Sharespace.  I have received this advice from WD on how to make the Sharespace visible as a networked device.  I followed the below instruction and it worked, the Sharespace is now showing as a networked drive.

WD Advice:

To map the drive : 

• Click on the start menu, then click on run 

• Type : \ the name of the drive, Ex: \wdstorage or \wdsharespace

• Right click on the Public folder and map the network drive 

Thanks for all your assistance.