Sandisk professional G-Raid Shuttle 4 72TB

Hello, new here. I hope this is a quick answer. I just purchased the Sandisk G-Raid Shuttle 4-72TB. I want to utilize it to take the place of all my individual USB hard Rives and as a backup or redundant copy of all my files. My question is, would I want to partition the raid into two partitions where one is storage for all my files and the other partition is set to raid 1 or JBOD? The files range from music and video libraries to graphic design and 3D files. I am working off a late 2019 iMac 27”. It is not apple silicon, but intel. Thank you in advance for any insight.

Whether or not to partition your SanDisk G-RAID Shuttle 4-72TB into two partitions depends on your specific needs and preferences. Here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons of each approach:
Single Partition with RAID 1 or JBOD:
Pros:

• Simpler to manage, as you’ll have a single large volume to store all your data.
  • Efficient use of storage space, as no separate partitions are needed.

Cons:

• Less flexibility in data organization, as all files will be stored in the same place.
  • Potential for data loss if the entire RAID array fails.

In your case, it seems like you have a diverse range of file types, including music, video, graphic design, and 3D files. Partitioning the drive could be beneficial for organizing these different types of data and potentially improving access times for frequently used files. Additionally, setting the storage partition to RAID 1 or JBOD could provide redundancy and protection against data loss.

1 Like