Resolve WDTV "Network shares" and password access problems

I am resurrecting an older, but handy post I made at this forum a few years ago with some updated new comments.

A lot of WDTV users think they need to password-protect their WDTV and attached drives. They don’t; unless they have “sensitive” material on it they want to keep from prying eyes. I just have basic music, photos, and videos on mine, so I do not use passwords, and I have easy access to it any time.

For those who want, or don’t want to use passwords, here are easy steps from my earlier post below:

This post addresses one of the most-asked questions in the forum regarding how to login to Network shares without problems, error messages and hassles. Two ways of accessing Network shares are described here, either by using, or not using, user names and passwords.

Method 1: IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE USER NAMES & PASSWORDS FOR WDTV NETWORK SHARES

1. In the WDTV Settings/Network settings, select auto logon (if your model WDTV has this option; otherwise, ignore).

2. Click on “Clear login info for network share” and select to clear it.

3. On your PC, in the Windows Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings, select it to “Turn OFF password protected sharing”.

End of your access problems. You will not be asked anymore for account names and passwords to access Network shares.

Method 2: IF YOU WANT TO USE USER NAMES & PASSWORDS FOR WDTV NETWORK SHARES

1. In the WDTV Settings/Network settings, DO NOT select auto logon (if your model WDTV has this option; otherwise, ignore).

2. Click on “Clear login info for network share” and select to clear it.

3. On your PC, in the Windows Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings, select it to “Turn ON password protected sharing”.

Now, (back at the WDTV menu when you access Network shares) you will be prompted to provide your Account name (your name on the shared PC you are accessing; if you login to the PC as Bob, put in Bob).

You also will be asked for your password for the PC you are accessing. If your password is “hello”, put in hello and now you can login to Network shares.

Select which method is best for you and your family. I like things to be simple and easy, so I prefer Method 1.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you @mike27oct for taking the time to share this with us.

Thanks, and any way this could be made sticky?

Hello @mike27oct

This topic has been made a sticky.

Thank you for your collaboration.

Thanks!

Too smart for “Alfred E Neuman!” Thanks Mike!

Alfred is smarter than most people think he is! Glad you appreciate him, too!

After this last windows 10 upgrade of April 2017, the shared files and folders are not showing again anyways…

I was able to see them with windows media player, when i’ve added them to the media folders but then another problem cames… the movies with the subtitles files are playing without showing the subtitles, is like there is not subtitle file there… but they exists and are where they belongs…

WDLIVE are not working again… can’t see any share at all… besides that one on media library of windows media player…

Search WDTV Live answers in this community. About not being able to see any share at all. It has been dealt with very thoroughly on many occasions here. Look at the newest ones in the results, they’re the best answers.

WDTV Live and WDTV Hub need SMBv1 enabled to be working. Microsoft is recommeding to disable SMBv1 due to the recent Wannacry ransomware. When SMBv1 is disabled on any Windows/NAS devices WDTV stops accessing Windows shares.

I had to switch to NFS instead of enabling SMBv1

You have posted this comment a few places here. Would you please provide a Microsoft URL where this information is posted?

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for links, and how do we determine the SMB version used by the WDTVs?

I don’t see anything there recommending you disable SMB. Just saying be sure you have the security patch. In the link you gave, as it’s designated a “critical” update, it can be presumed to have been a mandatory update anyway through normal regular Microsoft updates. You appear to believe it’s not so with this patch? I think if the Samba vulnerability hadn’t been fixed we would have had heard newsflashes about ransomware affecting millions of users who use Samba.

@Watch, thanks for looking into this further; I think you are on to something here.