Reset network share password?

After a server failure the Samba share username and password the wdtv-live uses has changed. However, there seems to be no way to update the login details it uses to connect. Have I missed something?

There is an option to reset network logins under settings> Device reset.

Sounds about right - the only way to change your network share password it to do a total system reset, no sensible option to change just login information.

Who designs this rubbish? Talk about crapware.

Well, thanks for the quick answer. I was about to do reset but wanted to confirm my suspician as to exactly how bad the WDTV really is.

pointer2null wrote:

Who designs this rubbish? Talk about crapware.

Well, thanks for the quick answer. I was about to do reset but wanted to confirm my suspician as to exactly how bad the WDTV really is.

Hold on a second, dude…  Which password are you talking about that changed?  Your SERVER’S password for Samba shares, or the WD TV’s password protected share for USB-attached drives?

If you changed the password on YOUR samba server, then all you need to do is Clear Login Info for Network Shares under the Network settings.

It’s unclear which you were referring to because your question is vague, but the response Trancer gave was for the WDTV’'s password.

Ok. Not sure what is vauge about “the Samba share username and password the wdtv-live uses has changed

As said in original post the samba share password has changed. (this is a wdtv-live so it has no storage of it’s own)

So all I need to do is update the password.

I’ve searched the menu and could not find “clear login” (doesn’t mean it wasn’t there just not easy to find).

I’ve reset the box now, but out of interest (and future reference) where is this setting?

The WDTV has no storage of its own? Sure it does. Whatever you plug into the USB ports is served out to anything on the network via Samba. If you set a device password, then THAT is the password the “wdtv-live uses” to protect the storage from access.

As I said, it is in the Network Settings section as described starting at page 192 of the manual: Clear Saved Network Share Login Use this menu to clear login information (preset password) for the network share.