Recycle Bin?

After using My Cloud Home Duo for a month or so, I now am getting a better feel for it. I recently mistakenly delete a couple photos from my private drive and can’t find the recycle bin. Is this not available on the My Cloud Home Duo? I have a couple other questions, but will post them individually to avoid confusion. Thanx!

There is no Recycle Bin for My Cloud Home products.

I had assumed that, but was hoping otherwise. Had I realized the shortcomings of the MyCloudHome Duo I think I would have purchased another product. When I asked the sales person about a NAS, they suggested the Home Duo. I now see there are a couple significant differences between the “Cloud” concept and a NAS.

Maybe I am assuming too much, but it seems to me that someone using a “cloud” device would have security and the ability to backup files in mind, and this would make a recycle bin almost a given.

As they say, “what we don’t know, we don’t know” so buyer beware!

1 Like

@socallinux is correct.
The Recycle Bin option is only available on My Cloud products and only works using Windows Samba.
This means the delete content will only appear in the Recycle Bin of the My Cloud if it’s deleted from within Windows Explorer. Content deleted using the My Cloud mobile, MyCloud.com or macOS Finder will not appear in the recycle bin.

BTW: Recycle Bin should not be considered a “backup option”.

Windows File History or macOS Time Machine are the recommended backup solutions.
You can also try one of these 3rd party options including Acronis TrueImage

Are you saying the Recycle Bin is used on the My Cloud, but not on the My Cloud Home? I’m not following the distinction. Or are you saying the Recycle Bin is available on My Cloud Home, but ONLY if files are deleted from Windows Explorer (not within a My Cloud app)? I have a My Cloud Home Duo, and deleted the files from Win Explorer, but they were not in the recycle Bin.

I do not consider the Recycle Bin a backup, but I did consider the My Cloud Home Duo as my backup target, and as such, the lack of a recycle bin is a huge negative to me.

I in fact bought and use daily Acronis True Image 2018 as by backup software, but the files that were accidentally deleted happened while I was setting up my new computer, the My Cloud Home Duo (as well as a WD Elements, WD MyBook and and WD Black SSD Data drives as well as Acronis. I may well have the files on one of those other drives (i.e. NOT the Cloud) but I’m not sure because I’m not sure which files I deleted. As I recall, several files were highlighted on the My Cloud Home Duo when I deleted them by mistake. I realized what I had done just as I did it, but wasn’t sure which files they were. SO I looked in the Recycle Bin and found it only had a couple other files in it (I remembered these particular files as being intentionally deleted.
I bought the My Cloud Home Duo to be a NAS. When I asked the salesperson at a local Best Buy for a NAS, this is the product that was suggested. As I now know, the My Cloud Home is NOT a NAS, but does fulfill most of my needs as a Backup Target.
I have read up a little on SAMBA, (it was mentioned to me in someone else’s response to a post I made) and still not sure what that’s all about.
Thanx for the reply.

@MrC1946

My Cloud Home = No Recycle Bin Option
My Cloud = YES for Recycle Bin Option

Calling MyCloudHome as Network Attached Storage / Cloud Storage and fundamental function like RecycleBin which can protect against accidental delete not being available, is a basic flaw. I was also shocked by the absence of this and had to give hard comments in Amazon from where I have purchased. Not sure if WD is listening to us. While high-end features can be provided on costly NAS, such fundamental features cannot be missed.

1 Like

“my cloud” app lauched 2 times the iphone back up and saved the pictures/movies under the folder created for that.

So I deleted the folder to back everything up again and have only 1 copy of each file in a new folder.

Problem: the pictures and movies appear now 3 times in the general collection and take a lot of space. Where can i permanentely delete these files?!

Thank you for your help,
Julien