Quick Test Fails

I am failing with the following:

Model Number: WDC WD7500AADS-00M2B0
Unit Serial Number: WD-[Deleted]
Firmware Number: 01.00A01
Capacity: 750.16 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

This is a second drive in my system that I haven’t used for a while. I just re-formatted it the other day and wanted to know the status. Is this drive bad and I should chuck it?

Thanks

Hello,

Try running zeros then do the test again. If it fails then I recommend you replace the drive.

Thanks, but I have a problem with trying to run the all zeroes test. When I start it, or the extended test, I get a message saying to close any open programs or file in drive (F: G:) to prevent data loss. G is the drive I want to test, but F is the system reserved for my main drive, C. I cannot take a chance of destroying any data there. I feel I am kinda stuck here.

I took the drive out and connected it via an outboard SATA connection I have. This gave it a new drive letter, but it still says to be sure there is no data in the System Reserve portion of my primary drive. I am afraid to run any further tests and possibly hurt my primary drive. Any ideas on other diagnostics I could run?

Thanks

Before you wipe out your drive with a zero test, you can try to run the Windows command chkdsk. It offers option to verify the drives and also other options to scan for bad sectors and “repair” them. With the parameter /x, the drive can be unmounted too, so it might help you face your problem.

I know it’s been many year since you posted, but if you ever see this, what did you ended doing?