WD2002FAEX-007BA0 Failed test but resurrected, can it be trusted

G’day All,

I was getting sort of random freezes for a few days and I  worked out that they were linked to steam checking some cache files; each time the cache check occurred the system hard froze, no bluescreen just whatever was on the screen at the time of the crash stayed displayed. Only a hard reset (pressing the reset button) would allow the system to reboot, keyboard etc were all totally non responsive.

I ran Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and the drive failed the quick test. The error message is below

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0
Unit Serial Number: WD-[Deleted]
Firmware Number: 05.01D05
Capacity: 2000.40 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Test Time: 18:40:45, March 30, 2013

So I moved my data to an alternate drive and found two or three files would consistently cause the freeze to occur if I tried to copy them. All the rest of the data copied without incident. So just to be sure this was not some wacky file issue I deleted the partition, created a new partition and performed a long format.

The format was successful and I then ran the quick test and it PASSED! So I ran the full test and it also passed. I copied some data back to the drive and no problems occurred. I installed a program to the drive and ran it without incident.

So now I am confused, if I test the drive I don’t get an error so I can’t really get an RA, but I am not sure if the drive is really ok. Does anyone know if a dodgy file can cause a read  error like I have described but in which the drive it self is not actually faulty. I will continue to test the drive in the meantime, but not sure if its best to send it back for a replacement or if the failed test was a false positive?

I am running WIN7 Sp1 and the drive is not the primary. I have an SSD as the primary and another WD sata as a secondary data drive.

Any advice appreciated.

BB

1 Like

Believe me dude you wouldn’t get any REAL help from WD . Yes they will give you another drive ( Your new drive for a refurbished drive ) but that drive will also be garbage . I bought a black edition drive as well and its total garbage . I believe WD are trying to sell defectived drives and don’t care to correct the problem . I just finally notice with my hard drive the driver fails to load but yet it still will load once I do a format . The only way this drive gets loaded I have to do a full format , everytime . If you really want to help out WD pass on your information to everyone you know and tell them about WD drives .

Bottom line its a driver issues and NO BODY IS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT

1 Like