Question about cloud shares

I just got a MyCloud, and I find myself with a question…

I got the device primarily because it was an awesome price for a NAS. The cloud access side of things is nifty, but not what I was looking for.

So here is my question: Can I set it up with some shares that are cloud-accessible, and other shares that are not? I want to use the cloud if I can, but I don’t want to have all of my data accessible from the cloud. It seems to be all or nothing; I’m hoping it can be more finely tuned than that.

Once you turn on the remote access, you control share access just like you would do on a local network: through giving users the right access level to each share. Each user will have to create a wd2go.com account to first login remotely, then access the shares they have access to. Note that the username of this wd2go.com account is the email address you declare in the UI for each user, and that the password can be different from the password used on the NAS. For example, a user can have a wd2go.com password, but no password to access the NAS locally. Finally note that the Public share is a bit of a misnomer because you still need a wd2go.com account, and a corresponding NAS account to be able to access that share.

That’s informative, but still doesn’t anwer my question…

Here’s a theoretical example of what I want to do. I want to create Share 1, that I will be able to access, but only from the local network. Then I want to create Share 2, which will be remotely accessible, mainly as a way to get stuff to and from my tablet. I will use my computer to move content from Share 2 to Share 1, if I want to do that.

I understand about configuring cloud access and accounts. I’m the only person who will be remotely accessing the cloud, but I’m also slightly paranoid and would prefer to have some content that can only be accessed from the local network.

I understand what you are asking for, but there is no way to select which share is available to remote access, only users.

To achieve something very close to what you want, you could create 2 users:

User Fred would have read/write access to Share1 and Share2 of your example, but no remote access.

User Charlie would only have read access to Share2. User Charlie would have remote access, therefore an account of wd2go.com.

With this setting, Fred can manage Share2 on the local network, but Charlie can only access Share 2 (and the Public share, by default) remotely.