Private on access to Share folder

I am having trouble setting up a PRIVATE Share folder that only we can access, (Access from our PC’s & WD TV only). I can setup the private share on the UI, but when I try and access it via >Start Menu > Computer > Network to firstly save data to . It asks me for a Username and password??? .

Shane82 wrote:

I am having trouble setting up a PRIVATE Share folder that only we can access,… It asks me for a Username and password??? .

Well, of course it’s going to ask you for a username and password.   Without that, shares wouldn’t be private.

I am not sure what you mean by we but if you have several users and only want a couple to have access to the share then you will need to go in and set it up that way. See example image below. To set user limit to No Access first you have to turn off Public Access.

You can find more information by clicking on the question mark at the top right of the Dashboard.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Thanks cat0w.

i refer to “We” as to only people within my home , i don’t want my Neighbours accessing my cloud when setup up as a media server.

All i want to do is set the cloud so my family can access the Media on it using there supported Cells phones & WD TV but not allows others around our home to access it.

Or do people outside my home that dont have assess to my WIFI Etc cant see or access it.

I have setup the Share with Public access off. but when i click on Share folder listed under >Networks > WDMYCLOUD it askes me for a password.

TonyPh12345

But I have not set a password on the MY Cloud.

Your NAS is only accessible to:

• people that have access to your home network. Depending on the access rights you put to each share, either anybody on the network can access the share (public share), or only the user that has read or read/write access to the share (private share),

• users that you have granted remote access rights to. Therefore, they are declared users in the NAS admin UI. In this case, only declared users with remote access rights can access any share, with the same logic as if they were on the local network. Any other users won’t have remote access, even to the public share.

Note that media serving doesn’t observe the access rights. Once you have turned on media sharing for any share (public or private), any home network or remote access authorized user will see the content through a DLNA capable client, whether the share is public or private.

Note that media serving doesn’t observe the access rights.

Oh my ,  the statement from WD that all contents on the MY Cloud is secure,  is a false statement , misleading  or in a simple term  Bull **bleep**e. 

Glad i have my reciept … back to the shop it will go.

Just to make sure you understand, media content is NOT available to anybody outside your home network through a DLNA client.

Etupes wrote:

Just to make sure you understand, media content is NOT available to anybody outside your home network through a DLNA client.

thats the answer i needed.  I dont care who in my home when connected to my Modem/Network can access , all i needed to make sure was that my neighbours where not searching my Cloud