PS3 Settings - Movies

Hi.

I have purchased a PS3 which connects and see’s all the movie files on the WD Mybook Live - but when trying to play files it says ‘‘corrupted file’’ or ‘‘unsupported file’’ - i understand some may not be supported as they are not the correct video format like MKV etc… but i cant seen to get any to work.

I have tried copying the files from the WDMBL to the PS3 and they are still then corrupt?

HELP???

Do the files play ok on your pc/laptop?   Try using GSpot Codec Information Appliance to confirm the codecs and that the files are not corrupt…

Hi,

Yes the files work perfectly on my laptop and also worked on my wdtv box.  I have a smartconverter program on my mac to convert files to mp4 format (does this automatically) to ensure they are in the correct format.  I cant see anything wrong with the media, it seems to be something maybe to do with Twonky or how the PS3 acceses the media library?  

Just trying a rebuild on the drive… fingers crossed!

Hope the rebuild works, if not, my instinct would be the PS3 doesn’t like the smartconverter program. The wdtv is much more lenient with file types than the PS3, I would try playing an unconverted xvid format file to rule out any problems with your own converted files…

Hi,

Rebuilding the database through the Twonky config page helped - all the data now displays on the PS3… only problem is that multiple files are still displaying as ‘‘corrupted file’’ when accessed (Movies).

I though it may be a codec/format issue - so I copied one of the files directly onto a memory stick and put that into the PS3 - that played first time with no issues… so the file is compatible and also intact.

Anyone else having these sort of issues?  Any idea on a fix??

I have the same problem with my PS3.  Been thinking about getting Quicktime Pro to convert my movies from WMV to MP4 will this help?  Im wanting to digitize my movie collection, but so far the digital copy movies I have on the MBL wont play (unsupported format).  Im guessing its cause the DRM that is attached to the movie when dowloaded from the disc.  Plays fine on my laptop.

I have had the same error when trying to play some files from the MBL - the rest come up as corrupted.

Its really odd as the files will play when put on a memory stick and then plugged into the PS3???

Im suprised that WD don’t have more info on PS3 configuration and more support.

hopeitfeltgood wrote:

Hi.

I have purchased a PS3 which connects and see’s all the movie files on the WD Mybook Live - but when trying to play files it says ‘‘corrupted file’’ or ‘‘unsupported file’’ - i understand some may not be supported as they are not the correct video format like MKV etc… but i cant seen to get any to work.

I have tried copying the files from the WDMBL to the PS3 and they are still then corrupt?

HELP???

The PS3 does not support a wide variety of file types so it really has nothing to do with the MBL, I’m posting a link with the file types that the PS3 can handle. I would simply convert the videos to a extension that the PS3 can handle. I use Free Make Video Converter www.freemake.com there is no license required its completely free and best of all not a pirated software, no watermarks are added to the videos and the quality is great.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and ‘Accept as Solution’ under options for the post that solved your issue.

Hi,

Thanks for the info… but i cant see it being a file type issue - the reason i say that is that when playng the file throught he MBL to the PS3 it can say ‘corrupted file’ or ‘unsupported file’, but when i put the exact same files on a usb stick and plug it directly into the PS3 then the same files play.  If the files were unsupported then however i acces them it shouldnt work. 

hopeitfeltgood wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the info… but i cant see it being a file type issue - the reason i say that is that when playng the file throught he MBL to the PS3 it can say ‘corrupted file’ or ‘unsupported file’, but when i put the exact same files on a usb stick and plug it directly into the PS3 then the same files play.  If the files were unsupported then however i acces them it shouldnt work. 

Well from my understanding and I’m not 100% sure, but that might have to do the the twonky server on the mybook live being outdated. I believe the current version does have some known mkv file streaming issues. But I wouldn’t wait on an update Western Digital has already said that they’ve made a business decision not to upgrade the twonky media server past its current version. You can however purchase the newest version of it at your expense its like $20 not a big deal and there are many forums on this website that walk you through the update process. I updated to version 7.0.5 and i dont have mkv issues.