Problem while on vacation

This may seem like an odd subject line, but here goes:

I have a two year old EX2/16GB and it has been working as expected from the beginning. I have a small server PC in the same network, where I have mounted some of the shares from the EX2.
I am now on vacation and has remote accessed the server, and to my surprise, the network drives are unaccessible!. I then tried to open the web interface on the EX2, but no response.

The logic answer would be that the EX somehow was kicked of the network, or a router had failed.

HOWEVER, I can ping the device and the reported MAC address tells me it is a WD device (so it is not IP address conflict - it is the right box I am pinging). Telnet/SSH/HTTP/mount does not work.

Being in a different country, I can not go to the box and reboot it, and I can not see the LEDs. The system is powered on, but does not respond on the web interface, or by ssh (it is enabled).

Is there anything at all I can do to find out what has happened or do I need to wait to get back and have physical access? I need some files on the EX2 so, I hope there is a way to find out how to fix it remotely…

Thanks for your advice.

This.

THIS is why I carry hard drives with me whereever I go.

Have this EVER worked in your own country? On my system, when I VPN into my router, the computer gets assigned to a different subnet than the NAS. The NAS has a setting to accept connections from different subnets (default is “no”.)

I’m amazed he’s even on a vacation in a different part of the world with a world wide pandemic still happening … remote access to files would be the least of my concerns.

Thank for a very helpful answer. There are places in the world that is safe to travel in - and I am not in the US (which is not one of them). Please don’t derail the discussion with irrelevant comments like this.

to NAS_User: I am connecting via AnyDesk to my Windows Server which has the NAS mounted as drives. The server only have a local IP and so does the NAS (in the 192.168.1.xxx range). I can ping the WD NAS using the (fixed) IP number.

Oh. . . so your remote connection is to the Windows machine?

Can you see other drives on the windows machine?

Not sure I can be of any further help - - -this smells like a problem on the Windows machine. (my money is on a rogue Windows Update resetting your network drive assignment)(Can you reassign the network drive letters? Although not being able to get to the web interface is a bad sign)

Question: I presume you tested remote access before leaving home and it all worked?

Windows 2004 update probably broke your home network till you get home.

^==== That would be my bet.

One of those &%$^ing updates, which I couldn’t stop or delay corrupted the O/S on one of my machines. Forced me to do a clean O/S reload. &%$^ing updates.

Would be a good guess. Only thing is that I also have a remote imac which also can’t mount the NAS drives - so it is probably not related to the windows box.

I guess I will have to wait till I get back to find out what happened. Hopefully it hasn’t trashed all my data (I only have backup of the most important parts - via jottacloud, which works very nicely, btw)

And yes, remote access worked before (has been for two years or more)

DARN the bad luck.

This is why when I travel, I have a small 1TB SSD with all critical files on it. If I want media, I have a 4TB 2.5" external drive that I lug around with me. (all backed up. . .if the plane goes down; or a boat sinks - - > I don’t want to waste even a second fretting over the stupid computer equipment)

I am now back home. The NAS was looking normal, blue LED on and “pulsing” ethernet LED on the back. Still no connection except for the ping. I pulled the plug (literally) and powered up again. After a while the interface was available (but of course I could not log in until the fsck was done). But after that all seems normal - no files lost.
I guess that is a lesson that I should back up everything, also the part which is not cloud backed up. I will go out and buy a 4TB ext drive today for this.
Thanks for your advices. If someone has suggestions on what happened, I’d love to hear it.