HELP Please

This is probably the 3rd or 4th times that I’ve had to post on this WD forum.
And again I’ll say this because the support from WD themselves is non-existent.

I am trying to work remotely from my NAS, the device I know is on because it connects to 4 android devices via the MyCloud app, but try to connect via a laptop & forget it.

The manual which comes with my WD EX2 Ultra is about as clear as mud and quite frankly I wish I’d gone with another company (a bit too late as it now happens).

I have the IP address - doesn’t connect/ times out & the mycloud portal gives a NO as well.

Seriously, how hard can it be to set up a NAS for remote secure access?

Any help is much appreciated (& if anybody wants to buy a 1yr old WD EX2 Ultra, drop me a line).
Many thanks

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: Error

WOW JontyS - what can I say, 16 days after I’ve posted you’ve finally addressed it.
Here’s an idea - how about you morons at WD post, in simple terms, how to set up your devices for remote access, because the link you’ve sent addresses none of that & quite frankly I’m now regretting ever buying one of your devices.
Customer service is sh!t, response time is sh!t, Expert level of technical knowledge required to get the device to do a basic function. Android app unstable, Want me to carry on?

Just sh!t, Sh!t, Sh!t - 2yrs I’ve battled with WD to get your machine to do a basic task.
Should have gone to synology.

Hmmmm… Well, notwithstanding Boch2209’s passion, there is another problem with this suggestion:

Option 3 does not exist when I try to connect one of my drives. And I know better that to try to “contact WD Support”!

Hello there,
Did you ever get those issues solved ? I have been turning in circles with the same problems. If it were not sad not to be able to retrieve one’s precious data I would laugh when one of the option is top update the firmware of the EX2. That’s pathetic !! Where are the instructions to update it without a dashboard ?
The very reason people invest in NAS drives is to guarantee reliable and long term data storage, not for the vendor top full the carpet from under the feet of thousands of users.
Regards.
Michael

Hi,
No not really - firstly you need to open a couple of ports on your router; 80 & 144 (off the top of my head) WD make no mention of this when trying to set up remotely - because, well I dont know.
As jonty amply demonstrates, their answer is a generic link which may solve your problem, but more than likely wont.
Have been on the phone to WD support multiple times to fix this & quite frankly I wish I never bothered with WD.
The easiest way to get their attention is to give a poor review on the Play store to their app which kinda works when it wants.
I’ve been streaming music from my NAS remotely (files have to be MP3 or it stutters/buffers) - it cuts the end off songs, might play - might not. Just basically a joke.
The upside is, if Im finding hard to access file remotely then blackhats will find it nearly impossible.

Hello and thank you for your reply. I have two of these temperamental drives, one I can access without any problem. If the issue was in the browser can I assume that I couldn’t access either NAS ? Do their new paying app works with the EX2 ? I installed it, I can see the drive and its directories, however it does not grant me access. I tried to reset the password but I never got the link the system says it sent. I have thousands of pictures and documents in there, the second back up was in a computer which got run over by a car. Streak of bad luck I suppose…
Did WD, or a 3rd party ever develop an application to replace the one no longer working on previous MacOs ?

I too regret having bought these drives. It’s hard to believe that a company such as Western Digital you drop all support juts like that.

Best regards.
Michael.

And here we go again: https://community.wd.com/t/remote-access/263310