Problem Seeing WDMYCLOUD on 1 of 3 computers

I’d like a little help from you guys. Something is fouled up.

I can’t access my WDMYCLOUD from one of our laptops. Everything works properly on the other two computers, but I can’t figure out why this one is not working.

• type in “wdmycloud” in Chrome and get back 403 error,
  • type in IP address in Chrome and get back 403 error “You don’t have permission to access /UI/ on this server”
  • I’ve installed WD Quick View and it doesn’t see the drive.
  • I can log into files.mycloud.com ok and all is fine.
  • It shows up in Devices and Printers but I think it is the twonky address “http://192.168.1.77:9000/
  • I can access ###.###.###.###:9000 via Chrome and twonky comes up

-I’ve rebooted the WDMYCLOUD drive, router and PC multiple times.
  • should be able to see the other devices under network
    Any suggestions?

Mike

Couple of suggestions. Ensure SMB1.0/CIFS is enabled (https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4155). Make sure Windows Network Type is set to Private. Make sure that the computer is using the same workgroup name as the workgroup name within the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings section. Make sure all computers are using the same IP address subnet as the My Cloud. Example all devices should have an IP address within the 192.168.1.x range.

Also check any anti virus/security software. Sometimes they can interfere with accessing or showing devices on the local network. Try disabling that software temporarily and see if the issue persists.

Bennor, thanks for your quick response. BTW, I have searched all over this forum and the web to see if I can sort this out, but foiled at every attempt.

• Network is private
  • SMB1.0/CIFS is enabled
  • Workgroup names are the same
  • All computers in the same subnet mask.
  • Tried disabling security software

I should at least be able to access via the ip address, right?

I get this error:
" Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /UI/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I ran WD Net View and got router not found, see below. But I can ping the router. No other computer has this issue.

How is the computer connected to the router? Wireless or wired?

If only one computer is having a problem then obviously there is something different with that one PC. Try using a different web browser as a test to access the My Cloud’s Dashboard. Disable any browser add-on’s within the browser if you are still having a problem accessing the Dashboard.

Thanks again Bennor. It is a wired connection to the network.
I tried iexplorer and it couldn’t locate the ip address.

I agree that there is something “different” in the network configuration of the problem computer.

Are they running the same O/S? The same version of the O/S?

If you go into the network adapter properties. . .is there anything different? Is NetBIOS and “Enable LMHosts lookup” enabled?

Can all three computers talk to each other?

Forgive me if this is too simple a reply. But in your screen shot, it says “File sharing is turned off. Some network computers and devices might not be visible. Click to change…”

Have you tried clicking to change?

RocketJSquirrl…Thanks. Yes I tried that.

NAS_user. Thanks for your input.
Yes, running the same O/S Windows 10 and up to date. Adapter is fine.

Called WD support and they were very helpful and at least got my drive mapped.

BTW, I pulled the network cable and could find the drive on Chrome via the drive name and ip address.
Hoorah!

This would tell me that the drive thinks it is on my wireless network and that my wired connection to my laptop was a different network. I have a ATT modem/router with the wireless turned off, connected to an ORBI. The ORBI is configured as an access point. The drive is connected into the ATT modem/router. So they should both, wired and wireless, be on the same network.

“So they should both, wired and wireless, be on the same network”

Yeah. . … but they sure are acting like they are on different networks.

If the Drive is connected to the ATT modem/router; and the laptop works wireless to the ORBI. . .then the laptop should work wired as well.

Note that the wired and wireless connections on the laptop are treated as separate adapters. It is possible for one to be private, and the other to be public. It is possible that something is goobered in the ethernet adapter settings. If you are brave, I would “delete” the ethernet connection; and let the system automatically reconfigure it when you plug it back in.

Note that some wireless routers or wireless ap devices will enable a feature called “client isolation”. Often this happens on “guest” (open) wifi networks. This is to prevent wireless clients from being able to access other wifi clients. There is usually a setting in the wireless router/ap device’s administration interface to turn this feature off.

May want to check the Orbi settings to ensure it doesn’t have it’s DHCP server enabled. Generally when using two or more routers on a local network you want to disable the DHCP server in one of them to avoid IP address conflicts or multiple IP networks.

NAS_user. I agree with your statements. They are indeed acting as if on different networks and something is goobered. I’ll check into the Ethernet connection.

Bennor, Thanks. I will look into this. I think guest is off.

SOLVED!
Thanks to Bennor and NAS_user for all the help.

I deleted the network device from the device manager, no change.
Rebooted the ORBI. Checked the ORBI config all good.
Flushed DNS and IP Address

Concluded it has to be my laptop some how.

I went to Dell support and decided to check my drivers. It had a Bios update 22 May 2020. I hand done a driver update including the Bios a week ago, so I thought all was good. I updated my Bios and everything started working.

Laptop is Dell Latitude 7400 about 5 months old.

Learnings: keep a new laptop updated frequently.

Usually. . . .I wait a gooood loooong time before updating equipment.

Let someone else beta-test the crappy updates every manufacturer puts out. . . .

Having said that; I just updated my 2yr laptop firmware this week :wink: First time. I think it still works. :wink: