PR4100 Plex and openvpn

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a PR4100 and I’ve been tinkering with it the past week to get everything setup the way I need it. The setup is: Modem - network switch - NAS. All pc’s in the network are connected to the same switch with a cable.
So far I had most of my files running, raid setup the way I wanted and everything was going smooth. Plex server was running nicely and I was able to access my plex content from outside the local network. Wasn’t a great experience using 1080p and up, but that is because of the poor upload speeds I have on my internet connection.
Then I installed openvpn following this guide: How to set up Western Digital My Cloud | NordVPN support (I already had a paid subscription from NordVPN)
I opted for the tcp version for the more reliable connection protocol, but tried the same with the upd version with the same results. Plex uses tcp as far as I could find, so that would be the best option I think.
But ever since I have the openvpn client running I can no longer access the Plex server or access my files using the My Cloud app on my smartphone, and it does not matter if I try using the local network or remote access (4G connection on my phone).

Read something about port forwarding as a solution for the Plex issue. So I set that up in my router and in Plex. Behold! Plex now works as normal. But so does the My Cloud app, which makes no sense unless the port forwarding bypasses openvpn entirely. Having to bypass the vpn to be able to use the NAS obviously defeats the purpose of using a vpn in the first place, so I’m guessing I’m doing something wrong.
I’ve tried checking the public IP of the PR4100 by setting up an ssh connection and using curl -4 canihazip.com. Before I setup the vpn that worked and showed me the correct IP (public IP of the local gateway). After setting up the vpn, curl gives me a (6) Could not resolve host error.
Also, after setting up the port forwarding, the openvpn process is no longer active in the RAM of the PR4100. Reinstalled the .ovpn file from NordVPN as before without a change, so it seems that the openvpn server is no disabled entirely.

So I’m kind of at a loss as to what’s going on and I hope I can get some help from you all.

Hi @Spawny,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I haven’t done that yet. I’ll do that first.
Thanks

Quick update in case anyone else is struggling with this.
Long story short: on the WD PR4100 you can have either Plex or OpenVPN, not both. I ended up running openvpn on a raspberry pi 4 and route traffic through that.

I’m interested as well… I had the VPN software on my edge router and clients on my MBP, IPAD, IPhone, Win Notebook and I could get through to the dynDNS name. Registered…. Not sure if its related, but this is when about 6-7 months ago the external WD PR hack came out and I had my pr4100 remotely wiped…

Till I find a better solution, I cut off all external access, vpn or otherwise. When I travel, I just use the ios plex app to DL to my ipad ad watch on the go.

~John