PR4100: Can't log on with SSH anymore

Hi

Ever since i bought the NAS i have been using SSH.

But suddenly today I couldn’t log on with any of my users.

I get the message “Access denied” with all my users

I have tried changing the password and turning SSH on and off from the MyCloud GUI.

I have tried restarting the NAS.

I have the newest firmware installed.

Putty and WinSCP can see the NAS and find the users, but won’t accept my passwords.

Can anybody help?

2 Likes

Are you using the username “sshd” to log in, or did you previously customize the config file to allow other users?

I always use root, not sure other users had access before.

“root” is no longer exposed to end user ssh login.
“sshd” is an alias for root and can be used.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info.

Why the change though?

1 Like

so I’m having this exact problem with my pr2100 but the whole username part isn’t making any sense to me as I’m only using ssh (PMS IP address) to connect and it’s asking for the password, but the password I swore I selected isn’t working. I too have shut off the ssh toggle and restarted the system etc, and reconfigured the ssh connection on os3 but no matter what I do, access denied, or Sorry, try again. I’ve used both “ssh IP address” and sudo ssh IP address" and both recognize the server but will not accept the password I set up in os3 under Settings>Network>SSH. I am just trying to back up my metadata and playlists etc…and I’ve connected to it before using SSH because that’s how I killed and replaced the preferences.xml file when I ran into a user not authorized error about a year ago. So I had to use SSH to go in and dump the file and let a new one be created along with the new token etc…

so I’m trying to get I again but now the password will not work. But again I see where people are saying “problem solved” with the link talking about not using root as the username, but again I don’t put in a user name…just the ssh with ip address… and it pulls up the server host name. (username which is not root or ssh but just my plex account username@IP address). So I’m at a total loss here as to how to fix this. Please advise. Any help would be appreciated. And by the way I’m trying to back this up because I’m gearing up to finally update to OS5, so before anyone tells me to update to os5, know that that is the end goal, but before I do that I want to make 100% sure I’ve backed up my PMS datat (not the media, just the playlists, meta data, posters, sort orders, etc…)