PR4100 bug in firmware, shows temperature 4600 degree and shut down

Can anyone suggest me what is right way for reporting a bug? Maybe ideas how to fix it:) But I do care about warranty, so official way should be better.

My PR4100 shows that Hard Disk temperature is thousands degrees and shuts down.

Recently I have purchased new fresh and amazing PR4100. This devide deserves best hard drives so I’ve bought new 4Tb Enterprise Class devices produced by Western Digital Corp.

Combination looks perfectly but surprisingly it is not working. My Cloud web interface shows that temperature of hard drives is about 4500 celsius degree. Really hot devices! I was thininking about producing thermo nuclear energy in my garage.

But after reading this forum and small investigation, it is clear that PR4100 is not reading correctly S.M.A.R.T. attribute “194 Temperature_Celsius”.

There is a file /usr/local/modules/localsbin/monitorTemperature.sh with a method “getDriveTemperature()” reading RAW_VALUE of smart attribute “Temperature_Celsius”:

## get the drive temperature using smart
temp=`smartctl -d ata -A “${drive}” | \
awk ‘{if ($2 == “Temperature_Celsius”) print $10}’`

Actually this is not correct, because according to SMART basics only lowest byte of RAW_VALUE of this attribute provides termerature value.
Still I don’t know what means highest byte, but In my case it is always 18 on every hard drive. So in my case average raw value is about 18 * 256 + 37 = 4645

This issue could be fixed in firmware by adding mod division to this line:

awk ‘{if ($2 == “Temperature_Celsius”) print ($10 % 255)}’`

My hardware:
Device: PR4100, firmware version, LATEST for today
Hard drives: WD4000FYYX, firmware version 00.0D1K5

7200 rpm driver are not qualified on the PR4100.
Please refer to the list of compatible drives for the PR4100 https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=2706&lang=en#WD_compatibility

Indeed, thank you for reply! Seems I need to replace something.

This looks weird that WD device has no support for certain WD hard drives.

I’m very disappointed and going to return PR4100 back to amazon to bye TS-469 Pro of another vendor.

According to wikipedia lowest byte of RAW_VALUE is current temperature. In my case it is about 30…37 on working drive.

18 is taken from highest byte of RAW_VALUE, no idea what it means. Logically it could be lowest temperature for some period in past, but I can not find any specs from WD to confirm it.

In my case RAW_VALUE = 4645 = 18 * 256 + 37

So, PR4100 thinks that hard drive temperature is 4645 and shuts down.

Please check screenshots of my system attached.

Thermonuclear process started.

Then after 15-20 min system shuts down.

Here is output. Temperature has 2 bytes raw value

Actually I have found a workaround for this. Following script overrides 2 bytes temperature.

#####################################################

#!/bin/bash

rm /usr/bin/smartctl

cat > /usr/bin/smartctl << EOL
#!/bin/bash
/usr/local/modules/bin/smartctl \$@ | awk ‘{if (\$2 == “Temperature_Celsius”) gsub(\$10,( \$10 % 255) ); print \$0 }’
EOL

chmod 777 /usr/bin/smartctl
#####################################################

This script makes my PR4100 to show correct temperature and fully operational, so I can create and use RAID volumes.
But! This solution is not acceptable… because this script should run at every system startup and not really for production usage.

I have reported bug to WD Support. Suggested them to change function reading temperature from SMART data. But there is no reply yet.

Im not an expert but I was feeling that there is smt strange and vendor specific… It took last 2 nights to perform this investigation and now I have to go back to my family.

My deadline is 30 january, because last day when I can return back beautful PR4100 to amazon… And probably bye smt else from QNAP.

Let’s see how WD support works.

dswv42 thanks for your posts on this forum! You did impressive analysis. It was very helpful to understand what is going on under the hood of my PR4100.

Finally… my device gracefully goes back to Amazon. WD support wasn’t very supportive.