WD My cloud Temps

Should i be worried about this ? -Wd My Cloud 3 TB - firmware v04.04.04-101

Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 100 089 000 Old_age Always - 50

The following post in another thread explains the temperature range for the WD Red hard drive that are used in most if not all single bay My Cloud units.

https://community.wd.com/t/overheating-issue-in-wd-my-cloud-4tb/167654/5

I look at the Dashboard>Diagnosis and Quick View and as long as they say the temperature is OK I don’t worry about it. See example images below.

You can check out the Users Manual for more information. Be sure to read, Important Safety Instructions.

I’m beginning to suspect that the reported temperature is simply made up (and hard-coded in the firmware that generates the status report), and is not an actual measured temperature. The fact that this report (and the one Bennor linked) both have the reported temperatures at exactly 50C makes me suspicious.

It may be illustrative to turn a device off for a day, let it cool down to ambient, and then check the reported temperature as soon as possible after it powers up.

Since the source code is available, I suppose it could be checked. But then the fixed value could be in the SMART report generated by the drive.

One can use SSH to see what temperature value SMART is reporting for the My Cloud drive. Something like:
smartctl -d ata -A /dev/sda | grep -i temperature

Which should return the SMART values for the airflow temperature and the temperature in Celsius.

Or if one has a v4.x firmware version single bay My Cloud and has the latest version of the CloudDAVMod app installed they can see the SMART temperature listed in the Help > Settings section of the CloudDAVMod.

On a replacement 1TB Seagate drive in my single bay v4.x firmware My Cloud enclosure the current temp is at: 44°C or 111°F

1 Like

sorry to have to revive such an old thread … was looking around for a way to get temp readout on my unit and used your smartctl command suggestion.

i got this output (below), was wondering what is meant by “Old_age” … ?

Blockquote

WDMyCloud:~# smartctl -d ata -A /dev/sda | grep -i temperature
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 103 089 000 Old_age Always - 49

Blockquote