PR21000 with firmware 2.21.111, prevents Plex Media Server from working

PR2100 performed an auto firmware update to version 21.111 on 7/13/2106. After which, I can’t connect to Plex Media Server (PMS) anymore (getting “this site can’t be reached” error). Only PMS version available is 09170.2035. Plex forum has other user with same problems (WDMyCloud DL4100 server- cannot connect to server error - NAS & Devices - Plex Forum). Port scan of the PR2100 reveals that the port 32400 isn’t active. I’ve tried reinstalling PMS and resetting the PR2100 but nothing seems to work. I can’t seem to revert to the older firmware (can’t find it) nor find a new version of PMS. Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Perhaps it would be best to contact WD Support about this. You can do so over the phone or via E-mail.

I’ve contacted WD support. Elevated Level 2 support hasn’t help either. They recommended that I do a system restore, which didn’t help. They told me that there is no way to rollback the firmware. Also they instructed me to install DL2100 and/or DL4100 versions of PMS which won’t install. I bought the PR2100 to function as my PMS but so far it has been a very disappointing/regretful purchase.

Hello,

Your Plex Libraries may be corrupted for some reason.
My PR2100 is on 2.21.111 running Plex without an issue.
If you’re comfortable

• Uninstall Plex from the App Store Page

• Enable SSH access <— WD DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS

• Download Putty and login as root with your password from enabling ssh

• Now just copy and paste the commands below

cd /mnt/HD/HD_a2/
    mv plex_conf plex.conf.OLD
    cd Nas_Prog
    mv -plex_conf plex_conf.OLD
    mv plexmediaserver plexmediaserver.OLD
    cd _install
    rm plex*
    reboot

Log back into the NAS UI and install Plex again but you’ll need to rebuild your libraries

Hello, I think one of the command is incorrect, it won’t work.
cd /mnt/HD/HD_a2/ <= this command worked
mv plex_conf plex.conf.OLD <= this command worked
cd Nas_Prog <= this command worked
mv -plex_conf plex_conf.OLD <=THIS COMMAND DOES NOT WORK? IS THERE A TYPO? CAN’T CONTINUE YOUR INSTRUCTIONS
mv plexmediaserver plexmediaserver.OLD
cd _install
rm plex*
reboot

The command probably failed because the file doesn’t exists.
In that case, you can skip the step

any update on this? Having a different issue where plex keeps crashing on my PR2100 at least once a day. Not sure if this would fix it, but I’m desperate for answers.

With WD Level 2 help. My issue has been resolved. Please see here: After PR2100 firmware v2.21.111 update I can't connect to PMS. Port 32400 isn't active. - NAS & Devices - Plex Forum

Hi All

the commands above may cause irritations as the option -R for recursive is missing there.
Both plexmediaserver and plex_conf are folders, not files. Therefore the commands should be written different. Additional I would not use the mv, move, command but a combined copy job:

cd /mnt/HD/HD_a2/ cp -R ./plex_conf ./plex_conf.OLD cp -R ./plexmediaserver ./plexmediaserver.OLD

These two cp lines will create the new folders plex_conf.OLD and plexmediaserver.OLD in the same directory as the originals and will copy the whole content of files in -R recursive mode into the new folders. Then the origianl folders may be deleted by using again the -R option like

rm -R ./plex_conf rm -R ./plexmediaserver

This fixed my PR2100. Plex server had stop and could not be restarted.
I uninstalled PMS which appears to have only left /mnt/HD/HD_aw/plex_conf. Once I renamed that file and reinstalled plex server (again) everything worked! Yeah!

My only other obstacle was finding the SSH logon name for my firmware was SSHD.

FYI the proper fix for this issue is to remove the dangling pid file

rm "/shares/Volume_1/plex_conf/Plex Media Server/plexmediaserver.pid"

You don’t need to reinstall / drop your config.
You may apply this fix to prevent it: