Potential buyer...Is My Cloud usefull at 100 mb?

From all of the talk I see about slow transfers I wonder if the My Cloud (3 TB) would be usefull at 100 mb. I do have 1000 available, but my switches are all 100. I also believe that the router from Frontier FIOS, is 100 mb. and do not know if 1000 is even available.

Anyway, we just want to access DATA, like excel files and Quicken data. My wife wants to be able to backup her Android based Droid Maxx phone as well. Can I do this? As some have said, I CAN convert to GB switches and plug the router into one of them. At least I should have Gigabit transfers in the house…which is good, and have the router plugged into one port on the switch, but somewhere I read that that is no good.

So, what am I missing here?

I can’t answer most of your questions, I’m fairly new to the MyCloud myself. I’m going thru the (seemingly) common growing pains with it… but I am positive I’ll come out on the other side much better.

Basically, from what I can tell this early into being a User of this device is that…no… you’ll need 1000 and that 100 won’t cut it!

Well, I hope I CAN use it. I can understand that 1000 is good for video, although my TIVO’s are fine at 100, but I am just looking to share data files and have them updated so that any system in the house can get the current data.

From what I’ve done so far … I’d really try and get everything at 1000. I’ve storing mostly photos and even still 1000 is pretty necessary for it with the MyCloud.

Well, I can see if Frontier has a gigabit router.

Does the 3 TB My Cloud come in GPT format, or doesn’t it matter?

you don’t need a gigabit router or even switches. unless your Internet service is over 100Mbps upgrading the router won’t help.

however if your computers support gigabit ethernet I wouls buy a gigabit switch and as you said connect the mycloud and computers to the switch and the switch to the router. it will work fine at 100Mbps but 10 times faster at gigabit speeds and you will be happier with it

Larry, I understand this. My systems at home ARE gigabit capable, but are running at 100 mb as the switches are 100. I suppose that my cat5 cable will still give me additional speed if I do go to gigabit switches, but I thought that on a forum post someone said the My Cloud does NOT like connecting to the 100 mb router thru a 1000 mb, or any, switch. I know the internet would still be whatever it is, but IF I get a few 1000 mb switches…and I see some for $14 to $19 …and connect my systems AND My Cloud into them, and then one of the 1000 mb switches to the router, I would assume that inhouse transfers would be fast. As I said this would be a good solution, but someone said the My Clousd does not like going into a switch first.

I have hard times imagining why the presence of a normal switch would interfere with anything dealing with the NAS performance. If you introduce a router and create a subnet, I’d understand. But a switch would have not impact. Can you share the link to the post referring to such switch-related issues?

BTW, for what it’s worth, I connect my WD to a switch, itself connected to a router, all gigabit. And it is working perfectly fine.

I have multiple switches, no issues. WD manual say to connect to the router but I am sure this is for simplicity only and if you called them for support they may want to bypass the switch for troubleshooting, you Internet provider would do the same. as mentioned above do not use multiple routers unless you have very special needs and don’t count on much help here.

how long are the cat5 cables? it is possiable it could be an issue but good and fairly short cat5 should be ok. if you are getting much over 25’ from the switch to device I would be concerned. the only way to know for sure is to try it. I have most if not all cat5 cabled with no issues

Thank you all. I do have 2 routers…sort of. However my 2nd router is just being used as a wifi access point.

I will also look for the post that said the My Cloud can NOT go thru a switch. Also, I do have 2 systems that are more than 25’ away, but I believe that going to gigabit switches, even with cat 5, would be faster than 100 mb…perhaps not 10X but better.

Etupes wrote:

I have hard times imagining why the presence of a normal switch would interfere with anything dealing with the NAS performance. If you introduce a router and create a subnet, I’d understand. But a switch would have not impact. Can you share the link to the post referring to such switch-related issues?

BTW, for what it’s worth, I connect my WD to a switch, itself connected to a router, all gigabit. And it is working perfectly fine.

Not sure link will work but it was in a topic called slow transfer to 3TB…

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Slow-Transfer-to-3TB-MyCloud/td-p/812099/page/2

hard to say what it is, I would lean to an issue with the switch. it is getting connected then drops. either the switch has an issue or is blocking DHCP protocol and it is not using a static IP