Plex Video Streaming Error on My Cloud Ex2 Ultra

Hi,

I’m new here and not a tech person so I apologize in advance. I just purchased a Mycloud Ex2 Ultra with the intention of storing my media in the cloud and playing music and movies through the Plex app that it comes with.

I set it up last night and I seemed to be getting everything ok despite my inexperience. However, I noticed that with a lot of movies that I have, PLEX is giving me a message saying “This server is not powerful enough to convert video” and will not play the movie.

As such, I’m trying to figure out what my options are as far as solutions. Whatever they are, I’m trying to keep it simple (which is why I didn’t go with a synology).

I’ve tried re-encoding the video file and that seemed to work but doubled the size of the file and took 2 hours so I would rather not do that.

I also tried playing it from the mycloud app on my iphone which did work so I thought I was cast it to my chromecast. However, the app could not find my chromecast despite all my other devices finding it.

I understand that this drive is technically not a NAS or media server as it seems to be marketed. Are there any low tech solutions to accomplish what I’m trying to do.

I’ve been reading about amazon firesticks and what not. I also see that many people have been able to play videos with no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Well; it depends upon your definition of a “NAS” and what your definition of “Media Server” is.

As a device that can act as a file server (or to run backup jobs) - - - a basic NAS use case - - - The EX2 is fine and gets the job done. Suffice it to say I have more than one :wink:

As a device that be a media server; well. . . that’s a different story.

In the case of PLEX; the EX2 ultra simply does not either the CPU or RAM to transcode video on the fly. This is one reason the “Brand S” models are more expensive. more hardware.

If you don’t have to transcode; I have had zero issue with 2K streaming on my home network with the EX2 Ultra- - > at fairly high bit rate. I have not attempted 4K streaming ('cause, you know. . .my source files are all standard 2K blue-rays - → so what’s the point?) - - -But I suspect it would do fine. (since the limitation there would probably be home network bandwidth; which shouldn’t be an issue.

For anything using WD Apps (either on the computer or your phone); that means you are using the WD servers. . . .and I suspect your router prevents them from pinging your chrome cast. Also; anything involving the internet subjects you to internet speed lag (both upload and download) In some third world countries, like the US, high download speeds (like 100mbs) are common. . .but pairing that with stupid low upload speeds (like 5mbs) is also common. And 5mbs is simply too slow for 2K streaming in my experience.

I have not really used plex in a while; but I recall that with a Plex Server running on the NAS, I really had no issues at all finding the Server using the Plex Client either at home or on the web.

(Assuming you can run the Plex Client on the Chromecast: I have to believe you can. I run on a roku sticks. Assuming you get Plex Client to run on a device. . .it should find the server).

You are posting in the OS3 forum (New EX2’s come with OS5). The OS3 apps have been dead for about a year. (end-of-life) - - → and I don’t personally run OS5 – - → So I can’t fully speak to the OS5 experience.

SO your other question regarding transcoding options: If you don’t do it on the fly - - -what do you do?
Welp. I bit the bullet and did the Re-encoding. Yes; a 2 hour movie could take 4 hours to transcode using HandBrake. So basically, I set up an OLD pc with handbrake - - > 3 movies a night (12 hours) for 30 days gets you 90 movies in a month. Not like I bought them that fast. :slight_smile: For me; file size was 4-8gb per movie.

Honestly - - → With those files; I ultimately just gave up on plex headaches and just hook up the computer to my home theater (with a 15’ HDMI cable attached in the back). I use VLC as my media player; and it sees the NAS just fine.

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful reply! I’m really going down a rabbit hole with this. As noted, I like the Ex2 Ultra thus far except for the Plex movie issue. I just saw a WD compatibility list that showed the Ex2 Ultra is not compatible with Plex but the My Cloud Home is. That seems backwards. Do I need to buy that model instead? The S drives are something I would need someone to literally set them up as I don’t have the know how.

Interesting re: the WD apps relying on their servers. Maybe that’s why it isn’t seeing my chromecast. The Plex app sees it fine. Thankfully, my upload speeds are very good so that is not an issue.

With respect to videos, as I’ve been testing them out it seems some work fine and then some have issues. Some are mp4 which make no sense to me but some are avi which I don’t think are compatible. So, I’m going to test out some handbrake settings and see what I can get away with. I don’t want the file size to be too large. I also don’t really notice a that big a difference above 720p to be honest. I have a bit of difficultly understanding how you can stream 2k but I can’t stream a 700mb crappy avi (is this the transcoding part?) If that’s the case, I was wondering if you could suggest some decent handbrake settings that keeps the file around the same size. Most of them are about 1.3 gb.

I also read that Plex Pass can do transcoding if I buy it. Not sure how that works. Do you think a Roku would be better than a chromecast. I don’t mind spending some money but I just need it to be simple.

Thanks again for your thorough response!

I am not familiar with ChromeCast or Kindle Firesticks; but I really think if the Plex Client app runs on the device - - → then they are functionally equivalent for your purpose.

When playing video; check the actual streaming settings - - I forget how to check; but you should be able to tell if plex is transcoding or playing at native resolution (or some such term). Any transcoding will bog down the streaming because of the “lack” of EX2 Ultra processing power.

I don’t know about file sizes. . . .as I said, my stuff is in the 4-8 gb range for a standard movie. When not transcoding; those files stream across my home network (including a jump across WIFI to the the streaming device) with no problem.

What plex does is establish software on the sending device (The Nas)(aka Plex Server) and the Recieving device (the streaming stick) (aka Plex client); and then they make a network link across the internet network.

The WD apps are designed to “painlessly” stream between your box; and their app. With WD software on the sending device (the NAS) and the recieving device (your app on your phone); and then they make a network link arcross the internet network. Throwing a “foreign” device into the mix just makes the networking part too hard (unless they put software onto your streaming stick)