Plex - Access outside the home network / Remote Access

Plex - Access outside the home network

Hello, I own My Cloud ex2 ultra, updated to the latest version. In the Public folder we have movies and series. I installed PLEX in Mycloud, registered it. Everything looked fine, even the access.

However, the problem arose when I want to play media in PLEX outside the home network, so via remote access. I’ve tried just about every option. Set up a different port, tried turning UPnP off and on in the router but no luck.

Can anyone try to give me some advice? I have tried searching on the internet but no result. The problem still persists.

You should move your post to, or post in, the correct subforum for your device in case the issue you are experiencing is specific to the My Cloud EX2 Ultra.

My Cloud EX Series

How are you trying to access Plex remotely, using what apps or programs/operating systems? What are the specific error messages that you see when attempting to access Plex remotely?

Plex can be problematic at times with it’s remote access feature. First step is to ensure you have updated the My Cloud and Plex to their latest versions. Then ensure you have enabled Remote Access option within the Plex Media server settings and that it indicates a connection. It helps, if one hasn’t done so already, to review the Plex Support article(s) on Remote Access:

One may need to configure their local network router to support UPnP or manually open specific ports if the router doesn’t automatically let the Plex traffic through the router firewall. One may need a Plex Pass subscription for certain remote access options or features or to stream remotely on mobile devices.

If it works on your device when on your home network, but not when roaming off your network, then this is where my money is placed.

I was expecting a similar response :slight_smile:

Mycloud + Plex is updated to the latest version
Remote access in Plex is enabled
I have enabled and also disabled UPnP on my router
In Plex settings I tried to select a different port as well, but unsuccessfully.
I have read the tutorials from the internet and from the links you posted, but the problem persists.
According to the community forum, I am not the only one having the problem → -> Plex remote access is Fully accessible, but it wont connect from outside local network - #10 by dejpchap1

For starters, the My Cloud Home is a completely different device using a complete different operating system. Problems with, or fixes to, a My Cloud Home may be specific to that device and or its operating system.

For Plex remote access, you may need to enable port forwarding within the router if UPnP doesn’t work. This may include both reserving an IP address for the My Cloud within the router’s DHCP server, and using the router’s port forwarding section to forward the proper ports to the My Cloud’s Plex Media Server. See the Manual Port Forwarding section of the Plex Troubleshooting Remote Access page. Search the internet to see how to enable and setup port forwarding for your specific router/gateway model. The method and process tends to vary by router make and model.

For port forwarding within the router’s administration interface one would use the My Cloud IP address, WAN/External Port of 32400, an LAN/Internal Port of 32400. If one has changed the Plex Media Server’s Manually specify public port they will use that instead as the WAN/External Port value in the port forward configuration on the router.

For example I run Plex on a Synology NAS. The Plex remote access option does not work unless I enable Manually specify public port and configure the network router to use Port Forwarding. Enabling UPnP on the network router doesn’t work in my case. I have to use port forwarding instead. Examples of that port forwarding on an Asus router and Plex indicating a remote connection.

Usually if one has problems with port forwarding its because they haven’t configured it right (correct internal and external ports and My Cloud IP address) in the router’s administration interface. In certain rare instances one’s broadband provider may block inbound port access or traffic. In certain cases one’s local network configuration may be the cause. For example having the My Cloud connected to a Mesh network node or to a power line extender, Wifi Extender, or other access point device or network switch. Always connect the My Cloud directly to the main router or gateway and configure the My Cloud to have a static or reserved IP address.

1 Like

Thank you for the instructions, I went through it again at home, restarted the NAS and modem. Finally progress. However, in the PLEX server settings it says remote access is enabled and working. However, when I disconnect the other laptop from the home network and open PLEX, it reports that MYCLOUD is offline.

As a troubleshooting step, use custom port 32400 not 29999 (adjust the port mapping on the router to match) and see if the issue persists. You may have to reboot the router also. If it works then the problem is using port 29999 which may be blocked due to possibly being a port used by malware (see this link for that port).

Otherwise, since this appears to be a Plex specific issue not a My Cloud issue, you should if you haven’t already, see if there is a solution over on Plex Support or the Plex forum(s).

Thank you for your time, the problem was with the internet provider who had to enable the port for remote access.

Thank you and have a nice day