Play All Video File Types on Iphone

When navigating my videos on the MyCloud app, several videos have question mark icons, which mean it can’t be played on the phone.  There are several apps that iphones have that can play mp4, avi, mkv, etc such as playable, vlc and hdplayer.  But there isnt a “Open with…” option in the MyCloud app to switch to that app for playback.  

I understand there are some compatibility issues with certain file formats on apple devices, but these apps compensate for that.  Is there a way the MyCloud app can be updated to have an “open with…” option? It works great for android because android forces you to choose a video playback app by default.  

It does have an Open With option.

Here’s an example just using an MP3 file.

that works for music files but not for videos. 

I will post pictures shortly 

It works with videos, too…

Here’s an example of an MKV file, which the iPhone of course does not support (but VLC does…)

Oh.  I see what you’re doing.

No, it doesn’t allow you to “Stream” video to another app.

You have to download the file, then send it to the other app.

It is interesting that the Android devices allow you to stream over 3g/4g/wifi and that Iphone devices do audio and some video file types.  Not sure i want to wait 20 mins and download every individual movie when the streaming feature works out-the-box.  If the WD app was changed for iphones to add the “open with” feature for live streaming, i’m sure folks would have a better experience.

1 Like

mr_slow_motion wrote:

If the WD app was changed for iphones to add the “open with” feature for live streaming, i’m sure folks would have a better experience.

AFAIK, it’s not a limitation of the app, it’s a limitation of iOS.   Apple’s very tight security doesn’t seem to allow “streamed” data sockets from one app to another.  

Someone who actually knows the iOS app architecture will probably correct me.  :)

I use the app PlayerXtreme in the App store, so far so good, I stream to the iPhone.

1 Like