Pc not authorized to access NAS

Hi,

I have a recently installed MyCloudEX2 and it is plugged in to my router. After the usual set up procedures I can access it from my pc using the app and also from my iPhone and iPad so that’s ok.

The problem is that my pc doesn’t show the EX2 in the network list even though it is detected by the pc.

When double clicking on the WDMyCloudEX2 icon I receive this message:

NAS not accessible.jpg

When accessing the EX from the pc app it looks like this which is perfectly fine:

I can use the EX now but since I need to transfer a lot of files and folders from external drives it will be much easier if it could be done using the explorer.

Wherer do you think the problem is?In the pc, in the NAS settings or perhaps in the router?

I need some help to sort this out.

//Tonie

Hello,

Have you tried mapping the drive manually?

Mapping a Personal Cloud drive or WD NAS drive on a Windows PC

Hi, Yes I have and I used the same link you kindly provided.

But it does not look like in the link…

When using Option 1 it appears like this:

and when using Options 2 it looks like this:

Option 2.jpg

When running the diagnose:

Option 2 cont 1.jpg

and after Next:

Option 2 cont 2.jpg

and then I am lost in jungle of help topics and searches…

I don’t know where to start looking for what’s wrong; the pc, the NAS or the router…

Reagrds

Tonie

Foxpaint wrote:

 

I don’t know where to start looking for what’s wrong; the pc, the NAS or the router…

 

From my experience with the EX2 I’d place all my money on it being the NAS.

Tonie,

It did happen to me couple of times, and it was super strange… it also said /// Can not access WdmyCloud or whatever, but then at the end i found out that for some reason, it is being incremented after certain time… (weather its restart, shutdown, or **bleep** knows). 

So after some time,  was able to access if i tried ///edmycloud-2 -3 -4 etc. 

I found it usefull to simply use WD quick View -> that thing seem to always know which multiplier to use, so that helped…

I would also suggest to use file transfer programs like Forklift, or any other… they are not only allowing you to utilize all the ftp,sftp,webdav,etc, but also are able to see all the network shared devices! (good example would be i tried to back up my computer using timemachine, but it never worked… untill i started using forklift. i just mount one of my EX2 shared on that contains backups, and it miraculously starting to back me up!)

Let me know if those above dont work - we can try some other things as well.

I would do the fallowing troubleshooting:

  • is the app working only in the network or over internet as well? Because if it works over the internet, you might have netowk issue

  • can you ping the name and IP of the NAS ?

  • can you disable the PC’s firewall and try to connect to the NAS ?

  • do you have access to the NAS interface ?

  • do you try to access the shares with \wdmyclouex2 or \IP  ?

  • if you use total commander, cand you map the shares ?

  • if you use putty, can you log on to the NAS ?

I had the smae problem on my laptop for over a month, came down to a reinstall of windows was the only thing that cleared it up, the five other pc (win 8 2 win7 1 ubuntu server and to android 2 boxes and 3 phone tablets ) other divices found it just fine.

Im finaly able to backup my decated DTG printer laptop.

Hi

do people who own this NAS Product choose to have a static ip?

If not I think thats where the proplems starts.

:open_mouth:

krycek wrote:

 

do people who own this NAS Product choose to have a static ip?

 

Absolutely. I did two things that many other users don’t:

First, I DID NOT install the WD software on my computer. I have been accessing my EX2 fine directly through Windows explorer from inside the network (and for outside I use SFTP).

Second, I assigned my EX2 a static IP right on day 1. Most people losing connection and requiring NAS reboot is exactly because of this. You definitely should assign static IP. I never had any NAS not found errors. The other thing to make sure is that your Windows login username and password matches that of a user set up on the EX2.

To soroka.dp:

Thanks for your reply. I have restarted the NAS a number of times but there is no change at all.

Using is probaly restricted by my employer (it’s a company pc) and it doesn’t really solve the root cause.

//Tonie

adicrst wrote:

I would do the fallowing troubleshooting:

 

  • is the app working only in the network or over internet as well? Because if it works over the internet, you might have netowk issue
  • can you ping the name and IP of the NAS ?
  • can you disable the PC’s firewall and try to connect to the NAS ?
  • do you have access to the NAS interface ?
  • do you try to access the shares with \wdmyclouex2 or \IP  ?
  • if you use total commander, cand you map the shares ?
  • if you use putty, can you log on to the NAS ?

 

 

 

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I have tried as many of them as I have been able to.

  • Yes, the app is working over internet (4G)
  • Yes, I can ping it ok with the IP
  • It is my job pc and therefore I’m a little bit restricted in what I actually can do (an admin log in is needed to perform certain operations), disabling the firewall being one of these restricted operations.
  • I’m not quite sure what you mean with interface? I can access the WD Dashboard if that’s what you mean…
  • No, I cannot access my shares using the IP. This is what I get after entering the IP address, and it’s the Dashboard:

The dasboard ini screen.jpg

  • This is what I get when typing WDMyCloudEX2 in the Run field:

Window cannot....jpg

  • And after diagnosing:

Win Network diagnostics.jpg

  • We are restricted from downloading programs like Total Commander and Putty.

I have the EX2 plugged into a switch (Plexgear GSW1008), if that does matter I don’t know. I have tried to plug it directly into the router as well but with same negative result.

I have also switched to static IP but I couldn’t notice any changes at all.

Unless any of you clever people out there has any suggestion my next move will be to borrow a friend’s pc and see if it will do the job properly. If that’s the case I know the problem is in the pc.

//Tonie

altered wrote:

I had the smae problem on my laptop for over a month, came down to a reinstall of windows was the only thing that cleared it up, the five other pc (win 8 2 win7 1 ubuntu server and to android 2 boxes and 3 phone tablets ) other divices found it just fine.

Im finaly able to backup my decated DTG printer laptop.

Hi,

Since it is my job pc I’m not in the position to reinstall Windows, unfortunately or luckily I don’t know…:smiley:

//Tonie

ok, since it’s a job pc i bet it’s in a domain and it’s hard to determine what group policies are applied.

i saw that you tried accessing the shares with \wdmycloudex2.

  • are you sure that this is the correct name of the NAS ?

  • try accessing with \IP_NAS, because in some cases group policies and firewall can prevent reverse lookup or name resolving of network machines

  • for windows, here is a link to turn on network discovery. Don’t worry about it, i can’t do any harm for the job setting, because if you have a policy about this it will be enforced first thing in the morning when you log on at the office:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7

  • give a static IP and let you NAS directly into the router. After that reboot the nas and your laptop. I saw that my PC couldn’t see the new credentials of the shares

  • good idea to try with another PC, i would have suggested that too

  • if you connect the NAS directly into your PC, can you access the share with \IP or \wdmycloudex2 ?

  • try reseting the nas from the back button, but save your configurations first, because you will loose them.

my hunch is on the firewall. Is the firewall active, because it’s not a common practice in big companies to have laptop’s  firewall active ?

adicrst wrote:

ok, since it’s a job pc i bet it’s in a domain and it’s hard to determine what group policies are applied.

i saw that you tried accessing the shares with \wdmycloudex2.

 

  • are you sure that this is the correct name of the NAS ?

 

  • try accessing with \IP_NAS, because in some cases group policies and firewall can prevent reverse lookup or name resolving of network machines

 

  • for windows, here is a link to turn on network discovery. Don’t worry about it, i can’t do any harm for the job setting, because if you have a policy about this it will be enforced first thing in the morning when you log on at the office:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7

 

  • give a static IP and let you NAS directly into the router. After that reboot the nas and your laptop. I saw that my PC couldn’t see the new credentials of the shares

 

  • good idea to try with another PC, i would have suggested that too

 

  • if you connect the NAS directly into your PC, can you access the share with \IP or \wdmycloudex2 ?

 

  • try reseting the nas from the back button, but save your configurations first, because you will loose them.

 

 

my hunch is on the firewall. Is the firewall active, because it’s not a common practice in big companies to have laptop’s  firewall active ?

 

 

My company are using Global Protect which I believe also is a firewall.

The rest of your tips I willto work on later, now I need to earn my living…:stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry for my absence…tahnks for the t&t’s.

Yes, it’s the correct name. I have re-installed the Nas and given it a new name, but it is still the same.

I have also tried to turn on the network discovery following the link you provided. Still no access.

I am not sure how to set a static IP that’s why I have not tried that one yet.

Connecting directly into the pc is not working neither.

I’m not prepared yet to reset the Nas but perhaps that will work better than just re-install it.

I downloaded Dropbox to see if that could be a temporary workaround to enable the transfer of at least a few of my files. Not tried it yet though… but I discovered something strange. Don’t know if it has any significance but I’ll share it anyway…

It’s about the language. I have chosen Swedish (I wonder why :stuck_out_tongue:) but in two different places I can see a different language. Why is another language jammed in between all the Swedish?

The three rows of text below “Dropbox” is definitively not Swedish. The same goes for the day if installation of Dropbox; Miesmannu.

Language issue App.jpg

In the language and clock section it looks the same, the weekday is not in Swedish despite the fact that Swedish is set as language.

Language issue 2.jpg

Probably it has nothing to do with the real issues but it seems strange to me anyway…

//Tonie

It Looks like one of three issues or a combination of them.

  1. IP issue

Windows is looking for 192.168.1.88 but that is no longer the IP address of the Nas; You must reserve an IP for the NAS Device in your router first before assigning static IP to NAS. The Mycloud app uses a relay IP address which allows access through that app with no problem.

  1. You have changed the name of your wdmycloud (It is no longer wdmycloudex2) but you still trying to access on windows using old name (\wdmycloudex2). Check the WD Dashboard>Settings>General to get the name of the device and access share using \{InsertNameofDeviceHere}

  2. The Workgroup of the computer and the NAS are different. Check the DashBoard>Settings>Network Under the Windows Services Group, Look at the workgroup name and compare that to your computers workgroup (Right click my computer and left click properties and go to advanced system settings and click on the Computer name Tab). If They Differ make sure they are the same so that when you go to map a share, the computer will be able to see the share

If Any of these work for you, please let me know and also click accept answer.

It could also be a subnet issue. What is the IP address of the computer and what is the IP address of the Switch?

Does the router assign IP addresses to every item connected to the switch or only the switch itself?

If You could Test First by plugging Nas Directly Into the Router and looking at the guidance I posted below ( in another post? (Trying to rule out switch config issue if a managed switch - Need to see how rtr is assigning IPs via DHCP).

In order for a static IP address assigned to NAS to work, the address must first be reserved in the router)

The cloud apps use either the IP address of the router or wd relay server as well as port forwarding or UPnP forwarded ports (of the router) to find the NAS (it does not need internal IP address of the NAS (the rtr has that). Which narrows things down to the workgroup name and DHCP IP issue I suggested in post below (since you know the name is in fact WdMycloudEx2).

I’m having a similar issue regarding my WDMyCloud. I have 4 WD devices, all connected via home network, all have been fine until recently when this one drive no longe allows access. I have an admin account for it, but all the Share Access options are now greyed out. All the other drives continue to work fine. I can see the drive in the left pane in my Win10 explorer, but cannot open it to see my folders. Would doing a system reset clear this out? All my music files are on this drive, kind of freaking me out…