Password to Drive on PC

Anybody got any idea what the password and username should be when I am trying to save to a WD drive on my PC. It comes up asking for password as below, but I have tried evry combination of passwords and usernames I can think of to no avail. The weird thing is that after trying to save and then clicking OK when its balnk after about 3 attempts it then seems to save the item.

Capture.PNG

Go to your windows control panel account settings credentials page. Look for any existing mycloud NAS network login, remove and add manually again just once without the pc name with slash. You need to ensure both NAS and PC are in the same workgroup and you can’t have multiple network share logins for a single NAS on the same PC account

1 Like

TheBazman,

The recommendation kindly provided by Nazar78 is very likely to address this issue.

Thanks for the help. I have gone to the credntials page but I cannot locate anything that appears to relate to WDCloud. I should make it clear that I am on a domain based network so workgroups dont apply. the only thing that is there I dont recognise is this.

Capture 2.PNG

Does not look like anything to do with WD Cloud

The pic you posted is a credential from one of MS service, so that’s not it. I just noticed from your earlier post you’re trying to connect externally. Do you have the same issue connecting within the mycloud subnet? This is because if you’re using the WD relay server, it shouldn’t be prompting for windows network credentials as it’s not using samba share but webdav drive mapping instead. Thus no credentials being saved.

1 Like

I had this problem with my sons computer. I forgot I had blocked access to the My Cloud in the UI. Went onto UI, allowed his computer access to the drive, problem solved. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks Naz

No when I connect internally (my other network) I do not have this problem. It did ask for a user and password which I gave it and it has never asked since. It may be that the network it is on is solely occupied by Macs which seem to handle the whole thing much better. Basically all I wanted was to connect via my work based domain server to store stuff that I could pick up and use wherever I was. That I can do via MyCloud but on my workstation I wanted to map a drive to Mycloud. I have done it but as you will see I cannot figure what password it wants. I have set out all of the credentials below. To see if that provides a clue to you guys who know a lot more than me.

Capture 3.PNG

Hi Baz, NP. I would suspect webdav is being filtered on your work based domain. Below is worth a try. Do you have Admin access to your workstation? If yes you can test this out on your work PC. Run regedit as admin and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters. Take note of this dword value “_ BasicAuthLevel _” if exists. Change or add it as a dword value " 2". Then need not reboot, just restart the service from an elevated admin command prompt, enter: _ sc WebClient stop _ then _ sc WebClient start _ and test it out.

Quoted from MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841215:

• 0 - Basic authentication disabled
  • 1 - Basic authentication enabled for Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) shares only
  • 2 or greater - Basic authentication enabled for SSL shares and for non-SSL shares

Hope it helps

Hi Naz - thank you for your help. I have tried that but seems to be still the same. I am going to try a few other things and if they dont work I will get back and pick some more brains.

The Bazman,

I have the same problem as you and is unable to find any WD related credentials in my Control Panel.  

TheBazman wrote:

Anybody got any idea what the password and username should be when I am trying to save to a WD drive on my PC. It comes up asking for password as below, but I have tried evry combination of passwords and usernames I can think of to no avail. The weird thing is that after trying to save and then clicking OK when its balnk after about 3 attempts it then seems to save the item.

Capture.PNG

Just a clarification question – you’re accessing your drive via WD 2go remote access?

Hi Tony - yes I am. I have installed the java scripting etc and I can see the share as a mapped drive in explorer. As I have said I can save to it but not before I have clicked on ‘ok’ half a dozen times when it askes for user name and password.

My guess is these are Office documents?

Tony

You are correct!!!  (got a crystal ball or just very clever?)

Neither
 :wink:  Just good memory.

Office (I think only version 2010 and later) employs additional security that’s not supported by the Cloud’s WebDAV server the way it’s configured.

This has been the case even going all the way back to the My Book Lives.

It’s just a shortcoming of Office + Windows + WebDAV + WD’s Implementation.

Remove any one of those from the equation yields different results.

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Neither
 :wink:  Just good memory.

Office (I think only version 2010 and later) employs additional security that’s not supported by the Cloud’s WebDAV server the way it’s configured.

This has been the case even going all the way back to the My Book Lives.

It’s just a shortcoming of Office + Windows + WebDAV + WD’s Implementation.

Remove any one of those from the equation yields different results.

Ok then the answer is for the time being there is no answer. Hopfully a firmware update in the future may resolve this prblem. I suppose I will just have to click away half a dozen times to save anything. No real hardship I suppose. You are right because when I save on my Mac the problem does not exist. Thanks for the help.