Owncloud safe setup

Since the main topic found by google that concerns installation of OwnCloud on WD My Cloud is closed (OwnCloud) I’m creating this new one and hope that someone will find it useful.

The published guide requires users to switch temporarily to the “unstable” Debian sid repository, and that is, in my understanding, is not 100% safe, because the installation of even a single php5-gd package leads to upgrade of other dependent packages and even the removal of others.

Instead, I have just tested the installation of OwnCloud in a chroot environment, which is a much safer way. Works like a charm.

If anyone is interested, I can try to write a more detailed guide, but in short the procedure is as follows:

1. Install Debian 8 in chroot using the script from GitHub - MyBookLive/chroot: Scripts to install and maintain chrooted Debian environment (if you haven’t done that, yet, when installing transmission :))
    2. chroot /DataVolume/debian (do not miss this step!!!)
  2. apt-get install php5 php5-gd php-xml-parser php5-intl zlib1g php5-curl php5-fpm nginx sqlite php5-sqlite
  3. add php5-fpm and nginx to chroot-services.list
  4. mkdir /var/www/owncloud
  5. make a simple nginx config to access that directory over http
  6. download setup-owncloud.php into that dir
  7. refer to the installation guide for owncloud to install and configure everything; pay attention to the manual installation guide, because some tweaking of owncloud/config.php and /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/www.conf is needed
  8. replace the temporary nginx config with the one from their website, including ssl access. I’ve used the custom ssl port in order to avoid potential conflicts with the web server on the “main” My Cloud installation.

Notice: This chroot script only for v3 firmware.
For v4 you can find there: Google drive folder or here: Mirror on my wdmc
Also you can find full guide here: OwnCloud on WDMyCloud V4 Firmwares - Page 1 | TeaNazaR.comTeaNazaR.com

Thanks for pointing out. You are right. That’s for v3. Since I’ve already done too much tweaking of the system, after upgrading to v.4 I would loose a lot of time redoing all that :slight_smile: