OS X Mountain Lion

OS X Mountain Lion should be released this month. Will be a Time Machine backups working on My Book Live with Mountain Lion? Is WD or anyone testing that already with Developer Previews?

Dam, you beat me to it.  I have been meaning to post for days now to ask if WD MBL is Mountain Lion compliant.  Last thing we want is another Lion release fiasco.  

How about it WD - for the many of us who will be upgrading to Mountain Lion on day one - will our MBL continue to function without incident or will ML make MBL fall over?

Pretty worrying given that WD read these forums they haven’t seen fit to respond to this query as the Mountain Lion release is almost upon us. 

GM of will be released next week, then there will be two or three week for testing a compatibility.

But as I can see from this forum a lot of people is having troubles with Time Machine Backups even in Lion. So if Apple has changed something in ML, there will be no backups on MLB.

Lets hope WD will be concerned with it.

OK, GM of OS X ML is now officialy available. Can any developer confirm Time Machine backups works in Mountain Lion with My Book Live?

Please take a look at this article regarding the developers build for OS X Mountain Lion

KB 9387

1 Like

That sounds like a catch all disclaimer to me if ever I saw one.  So it could well be similar issues to Lion release all over again?

I have the Mybook Elite … It’s recognized under ML 10.8 GM … even the WD+Turbo drivers are possible to install with some tweaking, however SmartWare is non-functional whatsoever! … so the LCD display is useles in 10.8 - however Time Machine seems to work fine either way :slight_smile: So unless you care for WD software u still can use your drive with one or the other limitation.

Robothief: Thanks for the link, but is says WD doesnt care until official release. Now when GM is out, which use to be a final release, I am interested if it is gonna be compatible, if so when?

peter.petrov: Thanks for report, I really doesnt care about WD SmartWare, I will not install anything from WD onto my Mac. But as for My Book Elite, it is USB drive, these are supported natively by OS X, but My Book Live is network drive which is very different.

Good to know. Thank you

Schwan wrote:

Robothief: Thanks for the link, but is says WD doesnt care until official release. Now when GM is out, which use to be a final release, I am interested if it is gonna be compatible, if so when?

peter.petrov: Thanks for report, I really doesnt care about WD SmartWare, I will not install anything from WD onto my Mac. But as for My Book Elite, it is USB drive, these are supported natively by OS X, but My Book Live is network drive which is very different.

Nowhere does it say in that article that we don’t care.  I’m sure WD does care.  But the fact remains, we can’t finalize any changes we need to make with any new operating system until the official OS is released.  That automatically puts us behind the curve, especially with the time it takes for testing. 

As for when, that will be when it’s ready.  We understand how much our users want us to give them timelines, but that’s not going to happen.  Especially with a new OS, and with constant updates, there are too many things that can hinder us from keeping that timeline.  But do understand that we are already working on this.  It may go easy, or it may go hard.  That all depends on the kinds of changes Apple has made to this OS. 

Bill_S wrote:

Nowhere does it say in that article that we don’t care. 

Well, is says “WD Technical Support will be unable to assist with issues that may arise until the official release of the OS.”. I know that it doesnt make sense to making it compatible with developer previews. But since you highlighting Time Machine backups as a feature of the product, it would be better to tell your customers that you are watching it, and make everything possible to make it work.

Bill_S wrote:

But do understand that we are already working on this. 

Thanks. That is all I wanted to know.

Schwan wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

Nowhere does it say in that article that we don’t care. 

Well, is says “WD Technical Support will be unable to assist with issues that may arise until the official release of the OS.”. I know that it doesn’t make sense to making it compatible with developer previews. But since you highlighting Time Machine backups as a feature of the product, it would be better to tell your customers that you are watching it, and make everything possible to make it work.

Bill_S wrote:

But do understand that we are already working on this. 

Thanks. That is all I wanted to know.

Or simply do as I do and steer clear of using MBL for TM backups.  I have said before that to put a backup on the same drive as your data is not good practice.  Whilst it may be OK on the MBL Duo i.e… built in redundancy, one has no such luxury on a single drive MBL.  Use a separate USB HD for TM - a much quicker process in any event.

Well I use TM on my MBL everyday and it works wonderfully. My plans are to do a full backup w/Carbon Copy prior to upgrading the Mountain Lion. If/when WDC says the water is safe for TM I’ll go back to my daily backups.

Jacko1 wrote:

Or simply do as I do and steer clear of using MBL for TM backups.  I have said before that to put a backup on the same drive as your data is not good practice.  Whilst it may be OK on the MBL Duo i.e… built in redundancy, one has no such luxury on a single drive MBL.  Use a separate USB HD for TM - a much quicker process in any event.

But that is a primary reason why I bought the MBL, to get rid of all USB drives. Actually my data are on separate drives, all important data on my computer (backed up with Time Machine to MBL), and the rest (not very important data) only on MBL. (But that is just a plan, currently I am afraid of having any data on MBL)

Schwan wrote:

Jacko1 wrote:

But that is a primary reason why I bought the MBL, to get rid of all USB drives. Actually my data are on separate drives, all important data on my computer (backed up with Time Machine to MBL), and the rest (not very important data) only on MBL. (But that is just a plan, currently I am afraid of having any data on MBL)

I keep a full TM backup on MBL as well as data.  However, that is simply a backup insurance for my USB HD TM backups which are done hourly.  It may be the reason why you bought MBL but is it good practice to have backups on the same drive as all your important data.  If the drive goes belly up then you lose the lot.  Even on fully blown NAS setups many users keep their TM backups on a USB or Firewire 800 drive.

Jacko1 wrote:

I keep a full TM backup on MBL as well as data.  However, that is simply a backup insurance for my USB HD TM backups which are done hourly.  It may be the reason why you bought MBL but is it good practice to have backups on the same drive as all your important data.  If the drive goes belly up then you lose the lot.  Even on fully blown NAS setups many users keep their TM backups on a USB or Firewire 800 drive.

Well, I dont understand to you why this should be bad? If SSD in my computer dies, all my important data are backed up on NAS. If drive inside NAS dies, all my data are still safe in my computer. It would have to die both devices at the same time, so that I loose my data. So, what is wrong with that?

Schwan wrote:

Jacko1 wrote:

Well, I dont understand to you why this should be bad? If SSD in my computer dies, all my important data are backed up on NAS. If drive inside NAS dies, all my data are still safe in my computer. It would have to die both devices at the same time, so that I loose my data. So, what is wrong with that?

The reason for not putting a backup on a drive with your data is because most people, (though not all) use a NAS not simply as a way of sharing media across a Network but because their PC’s HD is getting full.  Placing that data on a NAS frees up much needed room on their main PC’s HD.  I think you can join up the rest of the dots as I have rehearsed them in previous posts.

Hello everybody!

I just updated to Mountain Lion, did all the software updates and wanted to try out Time Machine.

Problem: Time Machine reports, that the image could not be accessed, Error 13…

In Finder, I do see MybookLive and I can access my Shares, like Documents, Photos etc. (which I created).

Also the User Interface is available through the browser.

MBL firmware is the recent one, it says “no update available”.

So, whats the problem here?! ;-(

Will there be a firmware update or is it a Mountain Lion issue?

Thx in advance for your help!

All the best,

David

griesTraum wrote:

Hello everybody!

I just updated to Mountain Lion, did all the software updates and wanted to try out Time Machine.

Problem: Time Machine reports, that the image could not be accessed, Error 13…

In Finder, I do see MybookLive and I can access my Shares, like Documents, Photos etc. (which I created).

Also the User Interface is available through the browser.

MBL firmware is the recent one, it says “no update available”.

So, whats the problem here?! ;-(

Will there be a firmware update or is it a Mountain Lion issue?

Thx in advance for your help!

All the best,

David

It is probably My Book Live issue! WD is already working on compatibility with Mountain Lion, but it is unknown how long does it take.