Optimal setup for 2 PR4100s

We have 2 PR4100s (running 5.26.300 firmware with stock 4Gb of RAM). One is the source with 2x 16TB Red Pro drives in RAID 0 and the other is the destination with 4 x 6TB Red Pro drives in RAID 5. The 2 drives are on a “dedicated” desktop switch (a TL-SG108-M2 - all 8 ports are supposedly 2.5Gbps) and Cat 6 cables x 4 ports. The other ports are connected to 2 iMacs (i9s but irrelevant) and a connection to the main switches that connect outside.

We are currently copying the files (about 14TB from the Source to the Destination). To do this, I sshed into the Source PR4100, am running a nohup rsync -arv . Cloud access is turned off for the Destination NAS.

We are into day 3.5 of the rsync and I’m only seeing an average (guestimate from looking multiple times at the Cloud dashboard) of about 50MB/s +/- 10MB/s. Is this normal? Is there a better way of doing this? Via USB 3?

I tried using the Remote Backup app but after running for 2 days, we were seemingly stuck at 99% of a job and inspecting the drive sizes on the Destination, were only at about 40% of the files copied with no way to see what was happening (and that was for a 3.4TB Folder). Tried Goodsync on the 2 NASes and one Mac as a job controller and throughput was terrible at about 20MB/s max (sometimes as low as 2MB/s).

Any pointers for stuff to look at would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

You may want to move your post to, or post in, the dedicated subforum for your device where users more familiar with the PR4200 may be able to assist.

OS5 My Cloud Pro Series
https://community.wd.com/c/os5/my-cloud-pro-series/256

Generally this subforum discusses the single bay/single drive My Cloud device.

Generally backup tends to be very slow. Backing up 14TB’s is liable to take a significant amount of time. Could even take multiple days. Which may be longer if one is adding/removing files from the NAS while it is in the backup process.

Best one can do is ensure both My Cloud units are connected to the same Gigabit capable router. That the My Cloud units are not running any other programs or services (Plex, media server, etc.) USB 3.0 on some other My Cloud devices tend to be very slow. Not sure if it’s any better on a PR4100 to an external USB hard drive. Generally one cannot connect two My Cloud devices to each other using USB. Not even sure on could directly connect the two to each other using Ethernet cable. Since the PR4100 is Gigabit Ethernet the fastest one will get (under optimal circumstances) is 1 GB even though it may be connected to 2.5GB ports on a router or switch. One should check if they can bond the two 1GB network ports together but that may not provide any faster speed.

OK Thanks. I’m not sure how to move it but I think I did it?

Thanks Martok.

No, the client is not doing backups and are relying on the RAID 5 to suffice for now. I did let them know best practices. It is arguably better than the RAID 0 they have right now (also with no backups). The client is somewhat cash and expertise strapped so I don’t know how they’ll accomplish this other than someone gifting them a backup system.

Link aggregation is already on and the 2 NASes are both already redundantly connected to the switch.

I assumes Remote Backup used something similar but the lack of info was annoying hence its discontinuation. I’m curious if you are getting better throughput using TeraCopy. I would doubt it unless the program does some on-the-fly compression that makes stuff go a little faster than going NAS to NAS direct.

Thanks for the reply. Wish there was an eSATA or usable USB3 solution here.

Interestingly enough, I’m rsyncing one share at a time from SOURCE to DESTINATION and this morning as my big share rsync is about to finish, I started another rsync with another share and the throughput is now fluctuating at 85MB/s+/- 10MB/s. So it appears initially like each rsync service might have some sort of bandwidth/cpu limitation. When the big one finishes, I might just start another to keep 2 rsyncs running at a time in two different shares.

Not sure that that’s the case, maybe. 98% of the files are either large mp4s or cr2s.
The change to the higher throughput was consistent until one of the rsyncs finished and then went back to approx 55MB/s until another was started - which then returned to the 80+ MB/s range of the duration of 2 rsyncs simultaneously running.

I’ll check it again this weekend when we kick off the copy back after reconfiguring the source enclosure to RAID 5 with 4 drives.

I have in the past when moving NAS total file just done USB-BACKUP app to a MYbook external disk of 4-6-8 GB size ( what ever is needed ) as you need a backup any way or you already have one.

copy time may be the same with UPS APP backup but it has always worked.

I have always wanted to try cloning the nas disk to working another unit of the same type and just move over the config files but never tried it.

I has a old baytech 2 port dock for cloning SATA SSD’s for raspberry pi units that could hold internal hard drives.