Open letter to WD Product and Support management!

Dear Product and Support Management Team members,

I have recently (March, 18th) purchased a new WD My Cloud Home Duo 8TB unit from a local computer shop (proof of purchase presented on my ticket) and tried to register the product for the warranty, but the support rejected it just by looking at the manufacturing date of the device. I believe that approach is not good from the view of a customer: During the purchase, how can a customer check the warranty expiration of a product residing on a shelf? :sweat_smile: I understand that if a product is unsold within the manufacturing and end of warranty dates, you do not take any responsibility.

After purchasing the product, I was able to use the unit in 5 days and then the “famous” firmware update problem occurred. The device requested the update but it stucked on slow breathing (LED) position. I asked support to look at the problem by providing the debug-logs and other related information. For about a week, I was joggled around with the useless information from the support agent. I think he/she was trying to cover the response-time metric set by you. And today, I was told that the unit is FAULTY/MALFUNCTIONING and due to the warranty expiration nothing can be done. I am giving the full response below:

Dear xxxxx,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

As per the email, I understand that you have already tried full factory reset and the issue still persists.

We regret to inform you that the device is faulty/malfunctioning.

As the warranty on the drive is already expired, so we can’t assist you with replacement. we recommend you to go for a new drive.

In fact, I modified the unit with a solution that was discussed under the other forum topic and I managed to operate the “so called faulty unit and the drives” without a problem in 10 mins, i.e. my purchased unit is not faulty but the firmware update procedure for this device is problematic. After reading the discussions related with the firmware update procedure on other topics, I find that a lot of WD My Cloud Home and Duo users are struggling with the same problem.

In short, “your support is diverting the problem with false findings, instead of helping the customers” and “there is a serious problem on firmware update procedure”.

Although I found my own solution and have a working unit with another SW set, I am very disappointed with the capabilities of your support team. I hope you take this note seriously and plan some enhancements to the Support process and procedures.

With my regards,

P.S. I am posting this note in here to inform other users as well. Thank you…

Hi there. I’m having the same problem and support isnt helping either.
What did you do to solve the problem? Did you install any special firmware?
Thanks.

Details are here:

You can follow the links over that post and do a deeper search for it. But a simple method is to use the kernel+Deb10+OMV5 install provided there. I am not using WD firmware anymore