One day old

I bought and installed a 4tb unit.  Installation went fine.  Currently on a brand-new linksys router 5 ghz. 

After following the directions, as expected, I receive an e-mail from WD talking about validating my account.  ??

It was not my intention to marry WD, just buy the drive and use of the software.  Finally, my question.  Do I have a “private cloud” or am I actually still doing business with WD and will need them forever to access data on the drive sitting next to me?

Sorry if I’m stupid.  I’ve had lots of practice. LOL

Shor

Shorahmin wrote:

I bought and installed a 4tb unit.  Installation went fine.  Currently on a brand-new linksys router 5 ghz. 

After following the directions, as expected, I receive an e-mail from WD talking about validating my account.  ??

It was not my intention to marry WD, just buy the drive and use of the software.  Finally, my question.  Do I have a “private cloud” or am I actually still doing business with WD and will need them forever to access data on the drive sitting next to me?

Sorry if I’m stupid.  I’ve had lots of practice. LOL

Shor

You will need WD if you plan on accessing the drive outside your LAN. You use the Desktop App for this or you can login to WD2GO.com if you have Cloud Access turned on.  Also you need them for firmware updates.

I have my Cloud Access off and it has been for over a month because of vulnerabilities issues in the firmware.

If you register your My Cloud warranty, which I do recommend, this will allow you to make Support Tickets and confirm your warranty incase something goes wrong with the unit. You do not need Cloud Access to use the My Cloud within your LAN.

Well, drat!  Can I somehow turn their door stopper into just a large drive?

Shorahmin wrote:

Well, drat!  Can I somehow turn their door stopper into just a large drive?

YES!

I have major concerns with “marrying WD” and as such I disabled Cloud access. I still have total access from anywhere in my house both wired and wifi. I use my 3 TB MC and a 4 TB mybook permanently attached as a single backup solution for:

• 1 Mac Book Pro
  • 2 Windows 7 computers
  • 3 Linux computers

At first I was annoyed by the "no cloud access’ but since I really purchased this for backup and sharing within my household I adjusted.

If you really want cloud access outside your home you will give up some security no matter the solution you choose.

If your Cloud connects with “Port Forwarding” mode, all the WD service is doing is providing location info (similar to Dynamic DNS) so the app can find your drive.  

If your cloud is connected via Relay mode, you’re using WD’s secure VPN service to connect.

Either way, the data is on YOUR drive, not theirs.   WD is just providing the method for you to connect when remote.