WD My Cloud 4TB

Over a few years I have accumulated several (6, I think) WD My Passport drives. Maximum individual storage for these drives is 2TB, which soon will be insufficient for my needs. My ideal solution would be to somehow RAID these soon-to-be-redundant drives; no possibility, I believe. At 15:37 EDST today I purchased this 4TB module as a test unit. Price was right and test reviews favorable. At 16:00 installation began. The time now is 20:10. I was unable to have the installation software establish an account. “We were unable to establish your account but please try again soon”! they said. I have given up. Therefore the unit is useless! I don’t need a “Fancy” cloud solution. All I need is a network attached storage device for holding backups from my five laptops. I’m looking elsewhere for a solution.

No reply is needed. This is just a comment on complete and utter dissatisfaction with the product. It will be returned to the retailer, tomorrow.

Postum Scriptum:  I telephoned WD support to be told the center is ciurrently closed, notwithstanding advertised claims of 24/7 support. Another: Why is it required to divulge personal information in order to establish an account with this “supplier”? I am a customer requiring urgent advice with a problem but you are unavailable and now have my personal information. No, I’m not willing to spend hours on-line, sifting through knowledge bases and user forums to perhaps find a solution to my problem.  I’M THE CUSTOMER, YOU ARE THE SUPPLIER, WORK HARDER FOR MY BUSINESS!

Jander.

jander wrote:The time now is 20:10. I was unable to have the installation software establish an account. “We were unable to establish your account but please try again soon”! they said. I have given up. Therefore the unit is useless! >  I don’t need a “Fancy” cloud solution

You’re giving contradictory information.   If you don’t need the cloud services, why are you trying to establish a cloud account?

well, maybe he mixed up some information, but - with all respect - he’s right - the customer service is very poor. I have opened three cases myself, without any answer from WD at all (well, except for the automatic reply).

So after a few days I sent a pm to Bill_S, who kindly raised it (big thanks!) to tech suppport - someone (Patrik) from WD got on to me on the same day, asked for log file from device’s diagnostics. I did provide it as soon as the test was complete, and sent it to him. Now, it’s almost two weeks since that and I didn’t hear a beep from them.

I think it is a little bit disrespectful - we all paid for the device, which should’ve been properly tested and working under any circumstances. We shouldn’t be forced to spend hour online looking for a solution that should be provided by the manufacturer

I know we all are only little fishes compared to big corporations running on WD’s solution, but still - we are customers just like any others

potepp wrote:

well, maybe he mixed up some information, but - with all respect - he’s right - the customer service is very poor.

My response had nothing to do with that subject
  I’ve never dealt directly with WD support, so I can’t comment on it at all.

I was just trying to work through the (paraphrased) “I can’t register an account so the device is useless” subject.   There’s so many ways around that which would allow it be useful.

“There’s so many ways around that which would allow it be useful.”

Then please elaborate.

I tried to return the unit to the reseller but was told: : It’s an open box and used unit so no can do". Therefore I’m stuck with a $250 “brick”?

The money is not important. I need a NAS unit which can back up and bare-metal restore my systems. I have been unable to bare-metal restore my systems directly from “My Cloud”. The “My Cloud” backs up fantastically fast. Backup copies from “My Cloud” to a local USB drive allow good, fast, bare-metal restores. I cannot bare-metal restore directly from “My Cloud”. Why not?

jander wrote:

“There’s so many ways around that which would allow it be useful.”

Then please elaborate.

No elaboration is needed – if you’re not using cloud services, then you have no need to register a cloud account.

jander wrote:

The “My Cloud” backs up fantastically fast. Backup copies from “My Cloud” to a local USB drive allow good, fast, bare-metal restores. I cannot bare-metal restore directly from “My Cloud”. Why not?

The My Cloud doesn’t do PC backups at all.   It’s a NAS.   It’s software running on your PC that does backups.

When you say “Backup copies FROM ‘My Cloud’ TO a local USB
”  Are you talking about a safepoint?   That’s the only option that does a “Bare Metal” restore, but it’s a restore of the cloud itself, not your PC.

Which software are you using?

The “you don’t need to give personal data in order to use the nas function” is partially false.

The first thing I did when I bought the device was to install the programs that were given with it.

Before even detecting the device, you are asked to create an account (giving email, a password).

That’s were I started to be suspicious.

Then I started to be upset, as the programs wouldn’t find the device, but encouraged me to keep installing and sending personal info to WD. Why, then ? Besides the fact that the device couldn’t be found by its own programs, and could be found by windows xp, which is a shame.

Jander, you can use the nas as an external - yet network - drive. Just make windows detect it, enter the GUI to disable all the features that are useless to you, and plug it to a switch or router that’s on the same workgroup as your computers.

I didn’t install any WD software. Just make sure you have the NETBIOS Assistance service “on” on the machines you want access with, and it should run smoothly.

groaar : thank you very much for your helpful remarks.

TonyPH12345 : wow! your condescension is breathtaking. I suppose you justify same by: “Just trying to help!”

Today in my efforts to “Get this thing working”, I decided to reconfigure “Shares” and discovered it’s impossible to delete the “Public” share. This is a “deal-breaker” for me. The security implications are far-reaching. The content of “My Cloud” and anything connected to it by USB, are vulnerable.

I will retire the unit and search for another solution.

There is a trick here for make the Public share private:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Controlling-access-to-public-folder/m-p/698142#M9784

I don’t follow your reasoning of having the content vulnerable because of the public share. Content in other shares can be protected separately.

1 Like

Thank you Etupes. However it’s too late for me. I have no confidence in “My Cloud” and the unit is now retired with a big “Query?” against future WD offerings.

Public Share solution is a “Secret” but not offered by WD? WD, for goodness sake why not? Shame. Fool me once, etc, etc.

This evening I visited my local, “Small Town” dealer. He recommended an Asus USB router, AC-RT68U and any HDD/SSD in a USB enclosure as a router connect. I purchased the router and a USB enclosure; then adapted a spare 4TB drive into the USB enclosure.

My “True Image 2014” backup software now works perfectly. As I write, two of my five laptops have been wiped and restored with no issues.

Anyone interested in purchasing a slightly used WD My Cloud 4TB at a big discount?