OMG Please help - WD live V WD Mybookworld Woes

Ok… The WD live has been great for ages… awesome in fact… Then tonight… I try to be smart… hop on my laptop… open up my Z drive, the mybookworld NAS, and decide to change the first folder - shared video - by clicking on it - and changing it to - Movies - Then changed the next sub folder to something else too…

Went in to try and watch another movie - No media in the folder - now displayed when I select mybookworld and then video through WD Live - Noooooooooooooo!! I can still see all the movies from my laptop on the NAS (under my stairs and hardwired into my network) And the WD live will still see all my family photos on NAS to under the images tab…

Help guys… I didn’t mean to cause all this… Also last night I tried following simple instructions to add thumbnails to movies… but that’s another WD LIVE portion of wrongness for another time…

What have I done to create this issue and losing all my videos on my NAS through the WD Live box… I want to figure this out because I might be buying two more soon for the kids!!

My Laptop uses windows 7 - but like I say - I’ve never had issues until I changed some folder names -

Just to confirm - I mean I LITERALLY changed the folder names - from ‘shared video’ by single clicking it - to ‘movies’ - and then after clicking into the folder I changed the sub folder from ‘kids films’ to ‘the girls movies’ for my daughters… Trying to be all clever… really didn’t think it would completely throb the WD Live box out… But it clearly has… videos nil, not even my family holiday short clips… NONE being displayed through the WD live box… yet my photos… all there… and all the videos viewable through the Laptop…

Did you change it back?  If not, try it.  Those are default public folders for the MBW drive, and are important for Twonky, I think, also.  Hopefully, someone else will jump in and help you.

Hi - I changed it back to what I THINK it was - which was “shared video” - but no luck - it’s like doing it has tripped it out somehow - I live in hope that tomorrow someone in the WD community comes to my aid - Thanks for your help though - fingers crossed I can figure it out - otherwise buying another 2 maybe a bad call!!

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

It’s case sensitve. Change the folder name to    Shared Videos

Make sure that’s still inside the ‘Public’ folder.

You might have to pull the plug on the tvlive for five minutes or so, then try again.

I believe the last post regarding the correct case will help you. However if it does not then the NAS (as a last resort) can be reset to defaults - use the advanced configuration menu. Read the manual which probably came on the CD with the drive. The total reset will make the drive revert back to how it was then you first got it.  Obviously you will have to move your files.

Regarding the manual, it also tells you in a number of places how important it is not to change the folder names!! Manuals do come in handy sometimes.

Let me add my two cents – I know nothing about Macs, but when I changed my shared Windows directory names I needed to go back to them and make them shared again.  IOW, changing the name also made them “non-shared” so the WDLive did not see them as shares.  And, of course, renaming them back won’t change anything (because once the shared attribute is gone it’s gone – simply renaming it back to a formerly shared name won’t do anything).

I’m guessing the same is true here.  I think you just need to reshare those folders, regardless of what name they have.  I know how to do this (easy) on the PC, but have no idea how to do it on a Mac.

HI all

Thanks for all your input - Believe it or not - I tried one last thing before pulling the last of my hair out - Updated the firmware on the mybookworld via the admin section… I had an update available… installed it - Jobs a good un! So WD live is working again and all is harmony in the world once more - Anyone finding this thread with a similar problem check for firmware updates on your NAS - It’s worth a shot and worked for me!

roverdog74 wrote:

HI all

Thanks for all your input - Believe it or not - I tried one last thing before pulling the last of my hair out - Updated the firmware on the mybookworld via the admin section… I had an update available… installed it - Jobs a good un! So WD live is working again and all is harmony in the world once more - Anyone finding this thread with a similar problem check for firmware updates on your NAS - It’s worth a shot and worked for me!

So did updating the firmware on your drive bring the folder back to the correct name? Is the folder name now upper case? Was it the firmware update or just some sort of reset that sorted your problem.

Literally just something in the firmware jolted it - very odd but happy enough it’s working… Next is thumbnails! :smiley: