Old-timer needs help getting unstupid

I have had the software and My Passports on two computers for several years, but never gave them any attention. The on-board disc drive on one of them (the one on “my” computer, ironically) allowed the Magic Smoke to escape a couple of weeks ago and I have been sifting the wreckage for salvage ever since.

In spite of my less than stellar performance, the software did a stellar job of saving my butt. But it is clear that was accidental and I need to get up to speed and take charge.

(A quick personal, I have worked on digital computer systems since the late 1960s, eventually became a recognized expert in UNIVAC 1100 operating systems, starting using PCs as tools when they started appearing, never got past MS-DOS 1.1 in actually understanding the internals.)

I have some cases open trying to understand the world of SmartWare, but I did not do a good job of checking “the community” and I am asking for help and pointers to existing answers to my questions.

Here is a list of current issues as of this writing–if you know where an answer is, would you please point it out to me.

Please don’t waste other people’s time pointing out how presuumptupus of me this request is–be silent and let me find it for myself.

and aTdHvAaNnKcSe.

1. Should it unlock at boots without human intervention?
    It does not. (I think it used-to, before the disc crash)

2. Should the back-ups start at boots without human intervention?
    Not clear if it is or not.

3. Are the three targets active at all times, or only the one I
    selected?
    (Later note–it looks like all three will run with their own
    individual schedules.)

4. How do I “clean house” on My Passport (return to factory contents)?
    (Later note–it looks like there are three files (backups?) with
    names that are long hex numbers and “permissions” that won’t let
    me delete them.)

5. I think I bought “Pro” one time too many. Anything we can do about
    that now? Can I run the software on a lap top that does not have a
    “My Passport” attached to it?

6. Does Drop Box know the Activation Code? There may be a mismatch
    for Chickadee2016. (My secret lis of passwords says I used one for
    “Drop Box” and I did not discover that until after I had told the
    software a different one. And I can’t get either software or Drop
    Box to show me what they think.)

7. Does the backup function work if no window is open?
    (Later note–Is this the same question as #2? And does the “later
    note” to #3 suggest the answer?)

I think I now know the answer to item 1 on my list–found “WD Security” (a program that is on the drive).

It is stalled at the moment because the drive is busy doing a “retrieve” of the stuff that is cluttering it.

Thank you, you have been most helpful*.

*That is not sarcasm. Ask me about it–I taught it in classes years ago.

Hi, let me see if I can help a bit here.

Yes, as long as the drive is connected and the Smartware is setup correctly.

Which three targets? Can you explain further?[quote=“LarrySheldon, post:1, topic:162164”]
How do I “clean house” on My Passport (return to factory contents)?(Later note–it looks like there are three files (backups?) withnames that are long hex numbers and “permissions” that won’t letme delete them.)
[/quote]

If you want to return the drive as when you got it, you can reformat the drive.[quote=“LarrySheldon, post:1, topic:162164”]
I think I bought “Pro” one time too many. Anything we can do aboutthat now? Can I run the software on a lap top that does not have a"My Passport" attached to it?
[/quote]

If you bought the “Pro” License for the Smartware the software will allow you to backup to Dropbox and to other USB External drives.

Dropbox does not know the activation code, the codes only work to enable the “Pro” features in the Smartware, if you are not sure if you two activation codes then you can contact support and they should be able to provide that answer for you.
http://support.wdc.com/contact.aspx?lang=en

Yes it will work in the background, the Smartware is designed to work without human intervention after the first setup, although I would recommend to check the software and make sure that the backup is running correctly every now and then.

Hopefully this help!

Here is an updated list of my concerns–I’ll back with a reply to “lluna” next.

1. Should it unlock at boots without human intervention?
    It does not. (I think it used-to, before the disc crash)

5/1/2016 1800 SOLVED–“WD Security” program sets it up.

2. Should the back-ups start at boots without human intervention?
    Not clear if it is or not.

5/1/2016 1800 Still not clear–sorta looks like the disc ones do, Drop Box may not.

3. Are the three targets active at all times, or only the one I
    selected?
    (Later note–it looks like all three will run with their own
    individual schedules.)

5/1/2016 1800 Solved–if the “later note” is correct.

4. How do I “clean house” on My Passport (return to factory contents)?
    (Later note–it looks like there are three files (backups?) with
    names that are long hex numbers and “permissions” that won’t let
    me delete them.)

5/1/2016 1800 I think I see the path–this is the next focus. After I
    feed the cats. And prepare the pill boxes for the current week and
    the following three.

5. I think I bought “Pro” one time too many. Anything we can do about
    that now? Can I run the software on a lap top that does not have a
    “My Passport” attached to it?

5/1/2016 1800 Still open.

6. Does Drop Box know the Activation Code? There may be a mismatch
    for Chickadee2016. (My secret list of passwords says I used one for
    “Drop Box” and I did not discover that until after I had told the
    software a different one. And I can’t get either software or Drop
    Box to show me what they think.)

7. Does the backup function work if no window is open?
    (Later note–Is this the same question as #2? And is the “later
    note” to #3 the answer?)

I have not figured out how to do in-line comments, so bear with me.

Where I think lluna and I are in agreement, I will not comment unless a further need comes up.

The three targets are the attached “My Passport” on one schedule, a “Samsung D3 Station”, also USB attached on a second schedule, and “Drop Box” on a third schedule.

At that seems to be working except that “Drop Box” seems to want me to log-in eacsh session.

I think I see the path to de-cluttering the “My Passport”, That will be my next focus following some higher priority interrupts like feeding the cats and myself.

I have three invoices some months apart–it looks like I (probably) bought one in July of 2014 for my wife’s machine. one in August for my machine (when I should copied the software from her machine to mine), and one in September for I-Have-No-Clue-Why.

Is it proper, ethical, and legal to install “Pro” on laptods that have no "My Passport"s attached.

Thank you very much, you have been helpful.

I think I have succeeded in cleaning off the “My Passport”, but it was brutal and I may have wound up with stuff there and elsewhere that I don’t need.

The instructions for the task are dreadful and I lost “Pro” in the process.

As I say, I think I have it running again but there be stuff I don’t need.

smartwere is very laggy for me. I opted to let windows 10 manage my backups in settings, search for wddrive!! And your set.
No more installs, nothing, nada!!

Yes. Your usage licence for the software does not require for you to be using a WD Passport. This is the reason why the software is sold stand-alone.

Thanks to those that helped. I appreciate it. I really do.

WDC support* has determined that this installation should be abandoned and discarded, so I won’t be looking for additional help here.

*Some times I wonder where the line is between “supported” and “held up” is.