New MyPassport Software Confusion

I have a 2013 MyPassport and 2015 MyPp Ultra that use SmartWare.,
New MyPassport from Best Buy ( WDBYNN0010BBL-0B) and I want to confirm I must Download WD Backup, NOT Smartware for new MyPpt. Maybe the unit “picks” the correct app dnload, not sure.
Will Utilities and Security be the Same for old and New units OR must they be dnloaded, too, for new unit?
Many Thanks!

Hi,

Smartware should work… But… it is out of date compared to WD Backup and no longer supported by WD.

Also be careful about using passwords. If you forget the password, it is good by to your files, unless you have other copies.

Cliff

SO, Delete SmartWare and Run old and new MyPassports from latest WD Backup , Utilities, etc?

I First opened the NEW MyPpt on a Win 10 laptop that I have returned.
I NOW want it on my Win 7 Desktop. IS there any OS “association” issue?

I hope I can recognize HOW to make the old units recognize the new software. On the just-returned laptop I think the Install Popup occurred after plugging in the new MyPassport.
Do you know what starter steps will / need to occur to Open old units on new WD Backup?
Many Thanks!

Whoa. Don’t delete Smartware just yet. You may need it to restore your files onto the computer drive. Use the Recover or Restore tab to find your files if necessary.

I just ran into trouble with WD Backup. I can’t even re-install it after being forced to remove it! Now I’m trying to re-install WD Discovery and that doesn’t seem to be working.

If you still get the Install Popup, go ahead with that. Otherwise try Downloading WD Discovery. Run that and it will or should install WD Backup, WD drive Utilities and WD Security and others. See the instructions

Thanks for the prompt Reply.
Didn’t think BOTH apps could run together but will Dnload Discovery as suggested and see what happens.
Macrium Image in the wings. NOTHING in computing is intuitive to me and I appreciate such feedback.

Hi,

I got WD Discovery to download latest version, but WD Backup still not running.

I’ll get back to you when I can.
Cliff

2nd Sppt told me to Dnload WD Backup and it is working w/New Unit where Smartware Backup-Restore Tabs were Grayed-Out -

Uninstalled Smartware (Re-Started) as with Old unit the Backup-Retrieve tabs were Dead.
WD Backup shows old unit as OFFLINE.
In the SOURCE AREA the Drive DOES APPEAR via Drop-Dn Arrow BUT NOT in the big Target Box;

From another post I UNINSTALLED EVERYTHING (Re-Started) and Dnloaded just WD Backup and Utilities.
WD Backup ONLY SEES NEW unit; 2013 MyPPt and 2015 MyPPt Ultra SHOW OFFLINE.
W7-64 system. Will keep searching.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=15137

Although my 2015 MyPassport Ultra is NOT one of only 3 Approved Model #s for WD Backup (see #4 link above) it finally Recognized the unit and Backup occurred.
With Sppt on phone it Still Showed Offline but a prior Clk of Create a Plan gave an error - THIS TIME the Drive was there but you wouldn’t have guessed it would be seeing the Red “Error Triangle” on the page.
All is well. FYI