No write permission in 'twonky' folder via SSH/WinSCP on My Cloud EX 2 Ultra

Hi All,

This is my first post: I’m a SSH/WinSCP novice, so please pardon me if I don’t provide all of the information pertinent to my problem.

I was really excited to find the extremely clear instructions for changing how Twonky sorts files in the Folder mode on the following thread:

I ran into a problem right at the end of following the instructions, though. I have a My Cloud EX2 Ultra. I was able to SSH in via WinSCP, and while the directory name is slightly different, I found view-definitions.xml. I edited it per the instructions, but when I tried to save it, I got an error message saying that I cannot overwrite the file. I can’t delete it, either, or write any new files in that directory. I can’t write (or delete) files in the ‘twonky’ directory or any of its subdirectories. I can, however, write test files in most other directories. I believe I am logged in as ‘root’. The owner of the files in the pertinent directory is listed as ‘root’, as well.

The full path to the location of the .xml file is: /usr/local/modules/twonky/resources/views

I can write files in /usr/local, but not it /usr/local/modules or in any of subdirectories of /modules. The error message I get when I try to do so is:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Item 1, I believe the MyBook Live and the EX2 use different versions of Twonky
Item 2. Any modifications done to the EX2 through WinSCP or Putty will invalidate your warranty.

Regarding the first item, they may be different versions, but this particular configuration file is identical and presumably has the same effect. It’s just that I can’t save the edited configuration file or replace it.

Regarding the second item, I’m okay with that.

In any case, it’s pretty wonky that Twonky would play files alphabetically by track title in Folder mode. I can’t think of another server that does that. It’s not even alphabetical by filename: it’s alphabetical by Track Title tag. If it were by filename, it would be much less problematic, as it’s pretty common to have MP3 files named along the lines of The Beatles_Abbey Road_09_You Never Give Me Your Money.mp3. Few people, however, want to add track number prefixes to the Track Title field, as what’s in that field is what is displayed by most software.

Hi,

Im having the same problem, cant even delete the view-definitions xml and copy a new one into the views file, has anyone got an idea why this is?

Well I guess I’m glad that I’m not the only one having the problem. I certainly wish there was a solution, though!

found out that the whole system is read only. A friend of mine has exactly the same cloud but a totally different firmware and he is able to edit the said xml.

I am actually able to write in some folders, but very few of them.

Hi,
I have the same problem. Actual firmware release 2.21.126.
I want to change only this file.
Does anyone found a solution ? Sorting by track titels is really insane. I can’t understand why it’s not changed by twonky or western digital.

I Have the same problem with a PR4100. I will change only this view-definitions.xml file.

thank you

Hi Staff,

is it possible to replace one file in the firmware Image? Can ypu help here? I cacn send you a workable file.

Thank you