No IPv6?! Come on WD!

Hello,

I’m just wondering why Westen Digitial ignores this standard while more and more ISPs as well as other devices are supporting IPv6. IPv6 is just as important as SMB or AFP and can not be ignored. For me this means my device is nearly useless - 120 bugs for trash. Even with ssh there is no way to get IPv6 working, it seems the Kernel has no IPv6 support. So, where is the problem?! Does WD want to sell a standard as premium feature for other devices, or does WD simply not know anything about new standards?! Sorry, but that is very frustrating.

cheers,
Ole

3 Likes

FYI, My higher tiered WD DL2100 My Cloud NAS has IPV6 support, but It makes sense that the bottom of line, basic My Cloud does not have it.

Hi Mike,

thanks Mike. Of course, I read that already. But it’s ridiculous to support IPv6 only on top line systems. IPv6 is nothing really special that customers should pay for. It’s for free included in the Linux Kernel which WD uses - for free. Today IPv6 is standard and for years not beta anymore. Shame on you Western Digital, shame on you…

1 Like

My router and NAS support IPV6 but neither is turned on. I see no disadvantage with them being off. Nevertheless, please give me some reasons for why they should be on and what I am missing. Thanks.

Hi Mike,

if you use your NAS only for, let’s call it “default use cases”, there is not really a need to turn it on. But I use some VPN connections etc., most services in my LAN are using IPv6 only. Well, I may should mention that I’m working as a professional System Engineer, that’s the reason why my home network is a bit more complex. Anyway, IPv6 is nothing special and will replace IPv4 (slowly). Of course, I could by a bigger top line NAS, but why when I just need a simple single drive “network disk”? If you like to dive a bit deeper in why IPv6 should be enabled, I guess IPv6 - Wikipedia would be a fair starting point. For Western Digital it’s not a big deal to enable IPv6 for those devices, since I already mentioned it’s implemented per default in the Linux Kernel. Hopefully WD will be fair and publish an update.

Best,
Ole

1 Like

This is answer.
(Based on what i see in the firmware)

WD Make great devices (Hardware, look&feel). But firmware - totally needs improvement!

Yeah… that’s what I guessed -.-

Fox: great work you did, btw. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the IPV6 info.

FYI: WD Support told me that my device dosen’t support IPv6. But they got other devices supporting IPv6 and I’m welcome to post my request at idea lab. :smiley: LOL?!

cheers,
Ole

Please vote! :wink: https://community.wd.com/t/please-add-ipv6-support-to-wd-mycloud-gen-2/

Hi, I have the latest Firmware (Ver 04.05.00.315) on My Cloud (2TB) and I am getting an IPv6 address from my router. Simply SSH to your NAS, once logged in as root, issue the " ip addr " command to see your IPv6 address.
Cheers

Hi!

Lucky you! Seems you’ve got the first version with 4.x firmwares, mine is 2nd generation with latest firmware 2.30.165 and of course, no ipv6. That makes the whole issue more ridiculous and drives me more nuts. Well… I’ll buy a Synology NAS next time.

Thanks,
Ole

Are you sure your Router is delivering an IPv6 address to the NAS? This is
what WD Tech Support wrote…

“I would like to inform you that the My cloud drive is compatible on both
the version of Internet protocol whether it is Ipv4 or Ipv6.”

What Router do you have? Are you using Windows or Linux? I do not think
this is Firmware related…

Thanks,
BJ

Hi,

My router IPv6 delivery is fine, all my other devices, also my VPN plays well with IPv6. On March 1st, I got an other answer from WD support - it’s in German, sorry for that:

Wenn ich Sie richtig verstanden habe, handelt es sich um die Unterstützung der IPv6 IP-Adresse.
Die aktuelle Cloud die Sie verwenden, hat keine Unterstützung für IPv6. Wir haben aber Geräte, die diese Funktion haben.
Wenn Sie dies aber für die My Cloud wünschen, schlage ich Ihnen vor, Ihre Vorschläge bezüglich unserer Produkte oder Software, in unserem Forum "Ideen Lab“ zum Ausdruck zu bringen.

The 2nd line means: Your device has no IPv6 support, we got other devices with this function.

I can verify that my device has no IPv6 kernel modules and no IPv6 support compiled into the kernel.

root@wdmc ~# ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: egiga0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP qlen 532
    link/ether 00:90:a9:ed:03:64 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.180.2/24 brd 192.168.180.255 scope global egiga0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
3: egiga1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN qlen 532
    link/ether 00:50:43:02:02:01 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

root@wdmc ~# ls /proc/net/if_inet6
ls: /proc/net/if_inet6: No such file or directory

root@wdmc ~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
netatop                34087  0
tun                    16377  0
ufsd                  566385  0
jnl                    26976  1 ufsd

root@wdmc ~# modprobe ipv6
modprobe: chdir(/lib/modules): No such file or directory

Cheers,
Ole

Using also MyCloud 2nd gen and so many options appeared after adding function to add apps (also IPv6)
Here , the installation process has changed from the time when I did that, but it is from the same guy so should work the same.

That’s not a basic, single bay MyCloud, is it? It’s from a Mirror or higher. The basic MyCloud doesn’t offer many of those services.

Really, it IS single bay. I was also very surprised after I added the custom apps “hack” that so many options appeared.

Here is dashboard, you can see that it is the single bay model, isn’t it?

Ah; not a ‘stock’ MyCloud, but one with fox_exe’s ‘crack’? That would explain it.

Yeah, but I see no problem with doing it only for that IPv6, it doesn’t limit the device in any way and you can even use it for other things such as torrenting, Plex server or HTTP downloads which I use.

@LubaCZ4, of course mine is showing IPv6 also in WebUI, but there is no IPv6 support by the running kernel WD provided.

@cpt_paranoia, right it’s that small single bay device.

Do not misunderstand me, except IPv6 this unit does a great job. Anyhow, IPv6 support is nothing special and should be usable at all. To preserve this for bigger devices is pretty ridiculous. No idea how some productowner/Manager gets ideas like this. It something like you buy a car, but not allowed to drive on highway with that car, although it is fast enough for the highway.

Well, maybe I try to use an alternative firmware, but than other features like HFS+ are gone.

Cheers,
Ole