Announcement of forthcoming release of OpenSSL on 19th march: 1.0.1m

https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-announce/2015-March/000020.html

if somebody cares, the my Cloud is at 1.0.1g, 07-Apr-2014.

https://openssl.org/news/secadv_20150319.txt

another serious vulnerability WD doesn’t care about.

support offered me a refund, if they manage to send me the UPS RMA sticker :smiley:

Im going to get a qnap silent nas, as they provide updates.

It saddens me you have decided to part ways with WD. Still, we have passed along this new information to WD Support.

I will still use WD drives - they are the best in the whole industry.

WD is a great company, but the support for the my cloud was a disappointment so far.

maybe my e-mails never reached the right department.

I am only trying to save WD from making the same mistakes as Seagate did with their NAS drives thats why I shared the story here. “reputation is everything”, like WD says in the EX2100 newsletter :wink:

It saddens me too that we’re likely to lose from the forum someone who seems to have his ear to the ground on security issues.  You’d hope someone at WD would be taking the same concerned interest in these issues, and ensuring the latest patches are rolled out at the earliest opportunity…

d-fens wrote:

https://openssl.org/news/secadv_20150319.txt

another serious vulnerability WD doesn’t care about.

support offered me a refund, if they manage to send me the UPS RMA sticker

Im going to get a qnap silent nas, as they provide updates.

Yep, both my My Clouds have been offline for quite some time (over a month) with no resolution in site. We won’t even go into the issues with the firmware degradation issues.

I am looking into replacing the My Clouds with a Synology NAS at the moment … I will take the My Cloud apart and try to use the drives. I just don’t understand why it is so hard for WD to fix these units. I realise nothing is perfect, but in my case the issues are getting worse. :frowning:

WD called me and offered to replace the 3tb My Cloud with a 2tb EX2 … I have looked into the EX2 forums and they are having similar issues, so I refused + I was losing a 1tb of storage, but they never offered a refund.

I use to use a Seagate NAS110 and that was a total disaster, but it was mainly due to their HDD’s and not the firmware. They do not make those anymore due to the reputation it developed, and needless to say I do not buy or recommend Seagate products anymore. I am just wondering if the My Cloud is heading in the same direction since they can not seem to fix it. Sometimes one is better off counting your loses and move on.

You are absolutely correct … “reputation is everything” in the marketplace.

with this vulnerability am I compromised with SSL turned off ?  Sorry for my nOOb question. This is a great forum and I learned allot here.  

the exchange to a EX2 sounds like a good deal, if you sell the case und use the HDD.

the WD NAS are very quiet, and for example, if you go for a synology, the fan is on in standby mode.

the only real quiet NAS I found are the HS-210 or the HS-251 from qnap, if you need more power.

d-fens wrote:

the exchange to a EX2 sounds like a good deal, if you sell the case und use the HDD.

the WD NAS are very quiet, and for example, if you go for a synology, the fan is on in standby mode.

the only real quiet NAS I found are the HS-210 or the HS-251 from qnap, if you need more power.

Thanks d-fens, I will look into the Qnap NAS’es. I was looking at the Synology DS215j or the DS214+.

I really wasn’t interested in the EX2 2x2tb drives, because I would lose 1-3tb My Cloud for the RMA return and the hassle of selling the EX2 case. I already have 2 3tb My Clouds and I was thinking of using these drives.

I was looking for the DS214play and the DS115. the synology-software is a bit nicer,

but the noise level is important to me.

the HS-251 also has a HDMI-Port and even offline UltraHD/4K transcoding, so it is quite future-proof.

I can’t decide between synology and qnap, I look at the pages for hours :wink:

anyway - a big “thank you” for the committed WD moderator team here, I wish WD HQ would give them more ressources and information, and of course, all the users here that spend their time on improving/fixing the my clouds, and helping other users.

d-fens wrote:

I was looking for the DS214play and the DS115. the synology-software is a bit nicer,

but the noise level is important to me.

I can’t decide between synology and qnap, I look at the pages for hours :wink:

I have looked also … it is a hard decision to make between the two. For me noise is not an issue, but you have an excellent point. :slight_smile:

Choose Synology. DSM5 is best OS for NAS !

earlier I had DS212+. It very silent. Fan go offline when not too heat. HDD Spindown too.

thank you fox_exe, I like syno a bit more, maybe I will test one from amazon to make sure it is not too noisy.

It will be in the living room.

I found this regarding the heat/fan:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=77857

I finally got a DS215j with a 2,5" WD red. I modified it with a Noctua NF-A9 fan, its silent.

I have looked into that model also … Nice choice.

I am really considering a QNAP TS-269 Pro. QNAP has a special on them, at this time, and they seem to have so much functionality that I am amazed.

All the best d-fens, hope the DS215J works out well for you :smiley: … it’s got to be better than what we have now … lol

wow the TS-269 is a really capable machine!

I could resist buying a bigger syno, because only 2 persons use it at once,

and the most movies I watch are from netflix and itunes, so I decided against buying the ds214play.

I think it is better to buy a new one every 3-4 years if it doesn’t fit you needs anymore,

so it is in full software support.