No IP address for Mycloud. Red LED on front. Ethernet LEDs flashing green (top), nothing (bottom)

I’m getting very pessimistic about recovering data from this device. One thought: when I connect MyCloud’s USB expansion port to computer with USB 3 cable I see MyCloud represented in Windows 10 File Explorer as a DVD drive without a disk in it. So I still don’t have access to the data. Is there some way that I can repurpose the expansion port so that MyCloud behaves like an external hard disk attached directly to my computer?

@Nosnomis Have you read the User Manual for your generation of My Cloud?

More information about WD My Cloud.

http://learn.mycloud.com/

The My Cloud is a network attached storage device, not a external USB hard drive. You cannot connect the My Cloud to a computer using the My Cloud USB port. The My Cloud USB port is for attaching external USB hard drives to expand the My Cloud storage and to use as a backup location for the My Cloud Dashboard backup feature.

If one has a second generation v2.x single bay My Cloud a red front LED can indicate no connection with a router. In certain rare cases a broadband provider’s router may cause an issue with the My Cloud. The workaround is to put a network switch between the My Cloud and network router. WD Support has a Knowledgebase article on this specific issue.

If the My Cloud internal hard drive has gone bad one could remove the drive from the My Cloud enclosure and attach it to a Linux PC, or a Windows/Mac PC (third party Linux driver may be needed) and attempt to recover the user data or unbrick a corrupted drive.

Hi Bennor,

It looks like my device is toast. I have tried your suggestions to no avail. I’m aware of what the USB port is intended for – I know I am reaching but I’ve been wondering if there is any way to hack that port to access my data. Apparently not.

Kind regards,

You can hack your device and save your data booting from USB port. Instructions are here or on fox_exe site.