New Release - WD TV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.42 (1/17/13)

TO:   R_Daneel and others discussing not finding network shares right away:

You folks need a little more patience.  Why?  Because I discovered long ago I needed it, too.  The display of network shares does not always happen right away when turning the WD back on.  I think this happens because the master browser is not found right away.  Always turn the WD back on AFTER a valid master browser is present and accounted for.

Anyway, I wrote the following earlier in this thread, but it appears it needs repeating again:

It is always good practice to turn off the media player after a firmware update to reboot it, but before turning it back on, one should turn off any additional media players, too.  While they are still off, turn off the main computer and any others, then bring the main PC back up to get the network behaving well again (and to reset the network’s master browser).

Once the PC is good and up, then turn on the WD that had the firmware update installed.  Hopefully, this would clear any network gremlins out.

I will add to the above: 

1)  When I say “turn off” the WD players, I mean, OFF; with the remote and then remove the power from the unit for 30 secs or longer.  Be sure to eject drives beforehand.

2)  Once the PC is running again, and before any WD players are back on, check to see if the master browser is operating and attributed to the PC you want it to be on.  See this link for explanation of “master browser” and get a free program to check for your master browser at anytime.

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Do the above steps, and we might find out if this firmware is really any good.  I am not installing it until enough “sacrificial lambs” have escaped and not been slaughtered!  Too many are being slaughtered right now.   :wink: