New Release - WD TV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.42 (1/17/13)

hi,

try to broadcast your SSID, don’t hide.

I remember, i read this a few day ago in this forum…

tomicka

I’m not hiding SSID- thanks.

I have the same problem after updating the firmware last night.

I need to re-enter/re-submit the workgroup name in network settings, then it will re-start the network. After that, everything looks fine.

TO:   R_Daneel and others discussing not finding network shares right away:

You folks need a little more patience.  Why?  Because I discovered long ago I needed it, too.  The display of network shares does not always happen right away when turning the WD back on.  I think this happens because the master browser is not found right away.  Always turn the WD back on AFTER a valid master browser is present and accounted for.

Anyway, I wrote the following earlier in this thread, but it appears it needs repeating again:

It is always good practice to turn off the media player after a firmware update to reboot it, but before turning it back on, one should turn off any additional media players, too.  While they are still off, turn off the main computer and any others, then bring the main PC back up to get the network behaving well again (and to reset the network’s master browser).

Once the PC is good and up, then turn on the WD that had the firmware update installed.  Hopefully, this would clear any network gremlins out.

I will add to the above: 

1)  When I say “turn off” the WD players, I mean, OFF; with the remote and then remove the power from the unit for 30 secs or longer.  Be sure to eject drives beforehand.

2)  Once the PC is running again, and before any WD players are back on, check to see if the master browser is operating and attributed to the PC you want it to be on.  See this link for explanation of “master browser” and get a free program to check for your master browser at anytime.

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Do the above steps, and we might find out if this firmware is really any good.  I am not installing it until enough “sacrificial lambs” have escaped and not been slaughtered!  Too many are being slaughtered right now.   :wink:

Hi Miike…good points all of them and I took those and THEN SOME into account I assure you. As I said…

“I WON’T go into my following attempts to get the device working except to say I installed and UN-installed the update about FIVE times…all with similar results. And then I tried something different!..and it seems to have worked…at least for me it has”.

After installing the update I allowed the device to remain idle for up to one half hour before attempting to access the Shared Network, among other attempts I did shut down my entire network and then I methodically re-awakened it…the results were always the same though. NO RELIABLE Network Shares were present, however when I disconnect the power cord then re-connected it the Network…ALL OF IT…appears in seconds and so far it is staying that way even when I reboot. I have eight computers on my home LAN two of them use a wireless connection the rest are hard wired.

I’ve been advised to do this with some of the routers I’ve had in the past and when a simple re-boot fails to correct a problem…disconnecting the power cord can sometimes bring the system back to its senses.

I’ve got the 1.06.16_B on a USB stick and rolling back is a simple matter…so as long as I’ve had the time and occasional experiment now and again can be well worth the effort…it was for me in any event. LOL

And I agree TOO MANY lambs are being slaughtered and from past experience I won’t trust my fix until it has proven itself over a period of WEEKS!..

Just wondering if WD is at least going to post a response about the network share issue?  At least so we know that they are or are not working on a solution.  I really like the device but if they dont think its fixable then I will put it to rest and move on.  Just hate being in the dark.

Sorry to say my suggestion to disconnect the power to the WD unit after updating the firmware in an effort to get it to recognize Network Shares has FAILED!..I’ve left my WDTV Live Plus on all day, it’s been on for hours, to test to see if it would maintain contact with Network Shares…it would NOT, no matter HOW I reboot the system now, either by disconnecting the power cord or shutting down via the remote, it does NOT access Network Shares. In my case what happens is when I attempt to access the desktop of a computer on my LAN when the “desktop” selection becomes visible as a choice the WD reboots! LOL…ah well…“The best-laid schemes o’ mice an’ men gang aft agley”

It’s back to 1.06.16_B and as Mike suggested earlier I think I’ll avoid the role of the sacrificial lamb in future! ;-)…thanks for the advice MIKE!

As for WD?..even if they fix this problem there will NO MORE products from this company in my house…in fact I already burned my bridges to WD BEFORE this latest update fiasco…I recently purchased TWO new 2 gb hard drives, which I would normally have purchased from WD, these two drives were from…somebody else…bye bye WD.

Yup wd lost a customer here. I run a small video company. Usually go through about 30tb per year (so 90 with back up and archive )

Used to buy wd drives ( have done for the past 6 years)

Not anymore. Byebye wd

R_Daneel wrote:> As for WD?..even if they fix this problem there will NO MORE products from this company in my house…in fact I already burned my bridges to WD BEFORE this latest update fiasco…I recently purchased TWO new 2 gb hard drives, which I would normally have purchased from WD, these two drives were from…somebody else…bye bye WD.

Well, if you bought Hitachi drives, it’s a “gotcha”, because over a year ago WD bought the Hitachi drive line.  (Around the same time, Seagate bought the Samsung line of drives.)  It appears there are only two drive makers in the world anymore – even if the brand is Buffalo or whatever, they may be using a bare drive from the other two companies in their enclosed drives.

It would definitely be nice to get a word from Bill_S or someone at WD about whether this “released” version is going to be the final release for the Live and Live Plus or not.  Since it’s not designated a beta, yet still seems to have problems, it’d be nice to know whether we can expect at least one more release to fix the problems listed here or if this is going to be “it”

I opened my Buffalo External Hdd a few days ago … it was a Samsung inside

strangey316 wrote:
Yup wd lost a customer here. I run a small video company. Usually go through about 30tb per year (so 90 with back up and archive )

Used to buy wd drives ( have done for the past 6 years)

Not anymore. Byebye wd

Wow.  I usually don’t comment about posts like this – everyone’s entitled to their choices.

But making a decision on ~$10,000 per year of STORAGE investment based on experience with a $79 3-year old media player?   Well, that’s just plain _____________.

WOW right back atcha TonyPh12345…you’re COMPLETELY ignoring the contemptuous way WD is treating its long time customers as witnessed by their total lack of concern on this and other threads to make the products they SOLD actually WORK as advertised…THEY DON’T! THAT, IMHO, says ALL you need to KNOW about whether or not you should or should NOT do business with a company. FALSE advertising from my perspective and WD is NOT the only company who treats their customers in so scurvy a fashion…I can think of some very expensive laser printers that have become door stops because the manufacturer doesn’t feel like supplying Windows 7 drivers for their customers…make em BUY A NEW ONE!..Well a LOT of people DO buy NEW ONES…but the SMART ones DO NOT buy from the companies that SCREWED THEM!

As for Hard Drives being produced by only one or two companies?..another MYTH of capitalism shot down…eh boys and girls?..long live Monopolies…or so says the masochists in the world of consumerism.

fhall1 wrote:

It would definitely be nice to get a word from Bill_S or someone at WD about whether this “released” version is going to be the final release for the Live and Live Plus or not.  Since it’s not designated a beta, yet still seems to have problems, it’d be nice to know whether we can expect at least one more release to fix the problems listed here or if this is going to be “it”

I have not heard any official word on this being the final release.  But, personally, I would assume that it is. 

R_Daneel wrote:

WOW right back atcha TonyPh12345…you’re COMPLETELY ignoring the contemptuous way WD is treating its long time customers as witnessed by their total lack of concern on this and other threads to make the products they SOLD actually WORK as advertised…THEY DON’T! THAT, IMHO, says ALL you need to KNOW about whether or not you should or should NOT do business with a company. FALSE advertising from my perspective and WD is NOT the only company who treats their customers in so scurvy a fashion…I can think of some very expensive laser printers that have become door stops because the manufacturer doesn’t feel like supplying Windows 7 drivers for their customers…make em BUY A NEW ONE!..Well a LOT of people DO buy NEW ONES…but the SMART ones DO NOT buy from the companies that SCREWED THEM!

As for Hard Drives being produced by only one or two companies?..another MYTH of capitalism shot down…eh boys and girls?..long live Monopolies…or so says the masochists in the world of consumerism.

R_Daneel

I’m sorry you feel this way, but if you were a long time customer, you would already know that we bend over backwards to help our customers.  We may not be perfect, but we are not contemptuous of our customers.  Nobody could be, and stay in business.

Moreover, your own illustration of the laser printer issue betrays you.  Nobody smart buys a product for what they think it’s going to do in the future.  They buy a product for what it does for them, now.  Nobody really knows where future technology will go.  So how can you get angry at a company for not supplying updated drivers when you bought the device for the operating system it was built for.  And it worked for you.  You assumed that the company owed it to you to make drivers for Windows 7.  They didn’t. 

We’ve all become accustomed to thinking that technology products will continue to be sustained after we buy them.  Hopefully even made better.  But that isn’t always feasible.  Sustaining products is a big issue with many companies.  It’s costly.  But we’ve sustained this product for 3 years.  Maybe not perfectly, but we’ve stuck with it longer than most companies could.  How is that contemptuous? 

Personally, I think anyone chasing new technology (myself included) has to be a masochist.

@Bill_S

Go BACK and read this thread   ( http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/New-Release-WDTV-Live-Plus-Firmware-Version-1-06-34-B-9-24-12/td-p/476130 )   paying particular attention to the DATE…and tell me again - WITH  A STRAIGHT FACE -  how you bend over backwards for your customers…your comments ring as HOLLOW as the mythological “HELP” you refer to.

Are you going to remove this update the way you did with the last one?..it would be, at this stage, the most considerate step you could take…vis-a-vis…those customers you’re so fond of “helping”…eh Bill?

I haven’t upgraded my firmware yet. I always wait it out before doing so. I was encouraged seeing the Upgrade firmware on my Live Plus. I knew the beta for this software was open to users of this forum, so I felt it was going to be good. Still I waited to get the seal of approval from this group. Did no one here test the beta that was offered? Did these problems show up during the test?

With all users here being so knowledgeable about this product, why wasn’t any of this caught and corrected before WD released this version? Who better to find the problems with the firmware than the users here, as we are seeing now? Why did such a bug filled firmware ever get released in the first place?

Just wondering.

JoeySmyth wrote:

I opened my Buffalo External Hdd a few days ago … it was a Samsung inside

Thanks for underscoring my earlier comments. 

As far as I know, there are only a few makers of the actual bare DRIVES anymore; the ones I earlier mentioned, and then there’s Toshiba out there all alone with a tiny piece (10%) of market share of what’s left that WD and Seagate don’t have today.   Wonder who will end up buying Toshiba?

Here’s a link to the WSJ article of March 8, 2011, announcing the WD/Hitachi merger.  Shortly afterward, Seagate made its move on Samsung acquisition.  See the chart/do the math.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703386704576186172247890398.html

Case closed! 

But, we digress; so back to the main point of this thread:  This new firmware seems to have problems. Why doesn’t this newest firmware WORK RIGHT!

Subject update.

richUK

The subject is a firmware “update” that, in truth, should be called a DOWNdate…cause the boat don’t float. Are you suggesting that the downdate has been updated to an update?..NO?..didn’t think so.

Who was it that suggested patience?..Mike?..or was it Job? Ya get the feeling that we should have read the sign on this forums door more carefully BEFORE we entered…the one that reads:

"‘All hope abandon ye who enter here’.

Through me you pass into the city of woe:

Through me you pass into eternal pain:"

Food for thought…LOL