New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.11.09-053 (4/23/12)

WD is happy to announce the latest firmware update for the My Book Live. For information about the firmware update, please check out the release notes.

Please feel free to post your experiences in this thread.

1 Like

So who dares go first…?

LOL!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

Time to create another safe-point backup…

Also . . .

File: apnc-021109-053-20120413.deb
CRC-32: d84ea10a
   MD4: c82f01105345fd8bec804ed8d1245be5
   MD5: 4fb14a2a00f9ffa080228721a0c4fdb1
 SHA-1: e56c1e50d0fb45a33f6e0b26974bb978e93a7f34

Size: 121 MB (127,421,250 bytes)

This one’s got me scratching an eye-brow…  “Removed the sleep time slider function under Energy Saver settings.” :robothappy:

If I had my drive here, I would.  I’m daring.

Myron wrote:

LOL!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

Time to create another safe-point backup…

Also . . .

File: apnc-021109-053-20120413.deb
CRC-32: d84ea10a
MD4: c82f01105345fd8bec804ed8d1245be5
MD5: 4fb14a2a00f9ffa080228721a0c4fdb1
SHA-1: e56c1e50d0fb45a33f6e0b26974bb978e93a7f34

Size: 121 MB (127,421,250 bytes)

This one’s got me scratching an eye-brow…  “Removed the sleep time slider function under Energy Saver settings.” :robothappy:

I wondered about that too. I guess that’s one way to fix the “drive never sleeps” problem. Make it expected behavior. :laughing:

At the moment I got an active SafePoint back-up in progress.   I have to admit that I will be initiating a firmware upgrade using . . . .

/usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021109-053-20120413.deb

Just got to make sure the configuration files I’ve changed are also backed up.  :laughing:

I have already upgraded all my units. Works good. If you read through the release notes you will see quite a few changes around the upgrade process. We hardened this process, so these issues should not happen again. As an FYI, we have a test lab that went through thousands of firmware update cycles to make sure this process was rock solid.

Regarding the Sleep timer slider. The problem we had was that the accuracy of the timer was way off. With all the processes running, it was difficult to spin down the drive at the exact time as specified by the timer. Instead it is default time is 10 minutes.

Just finished BOTH of mine.   Did the Update via the WebUI on both.    All is well.

Each MBL took 7 minutes from start to finish.  (I have fast internet, so the download took less than 30 seconds.)

It “paused” for a minute or so each at 10%, 50%, and 70% on the progress bar, but I was watching it from the “top” process, too, so I knew it was running along…

The question for those who had upgraded Twonky to 6.x and/or 7.x will need to reconfigure back to Twonky 5.1.9; then reconfigure AFTER the firmware update???

I did read back that the Twonky 5.1.9 is included in any/all firmware updates?

The release notes don’t say anything about Twonky; is it a hidden gotcha or can I think my 7.x will remain untouched?

Neat. Tony, if it all works you’ll be able ot wean yourself off the extra strong dosage of vallium.  LOL  :smiley:

I’m waiting for the safepoint backup to complete before I initiate the update.

I have been using something a lot stronger than Valium :slight_smile:

Sweet!  With me about, might be wise!  ROTFL!!!  :laughing:

Just done the update.  Something or nothing…

-bash \_ /bin/bash /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021109-053-20120413.deb     \_ /bin/bash /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021109-053-20120413.deb     |   \_ dpkg -i /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021109-053-20120413.deb     |   |   \_ /bin/bash /var/lib/dpkg/info/apnc.postinst configure 02.10.12-128     |   |       \_ dd if /dev/md1 bs 64k count 31247     |   |       \_ md5sum -c /CacheVolume/upgrade/rootfs.md5     |   \_ tee /CacheVolume/update.log     \_ tee -a /dev/null

What got my attention was . . .    02.10.12-128

The previous firmware version was . . .   02.10.12-129

That’s not the version I’ve upgraded from.   :wink:

Come on…  Had to find something!  LOL

Upgraded the firmware to 02.11.09-053 and so far everything is sweet and rosy!

Upgrade went without a single hitch. :smiley:

Did the upgrade & the current version listed in the beginning of  the upgrade was correct (129).

It does look like Twonky 5.1.9 is back & that the /usr & whatelse(?) got reverted back to “original”, i.e. the writeTwonky… in /usr/local/sbin “old” is no longer there.   So if upgrading Twonky to 6.x or 7.x, it need to be renamed again; just as the /etc/hosts got changed & now includes MyBookLive as the 1st line for the loopback ip.  At least, this is where the link method for newer versions to Twonkymedia-5 works very nicely as there would be less work to do & can be done quickly.

Believe that the Debian OS got reinstalled with changes.

Currently rebuilding my Twonky database for 5.1.9; may change at a future date as the only viable access to my music is thru “genre/album” & the videos still go thru multiple unnecessary & redundant  pathways to get to my video even in the 7.x from my dvd player.

IOW, 6.x & 7.x didn’t buy me anything more as I am not using internet access.

if I have no dashboard as I update?

I have to say I am really satisfied with this update! My performance is so much faster including with my dashboard. The update went really smoothly without any glitches except when it got to 50% it stopped then a message appeared saying the connection was lost but then I was able to access the dashboard when a message appeared saying it was successful. Thank you WD, this update will make a lot of people happy including my self. Because before this update it took me like 5-10 minutes to load and now it took like 10 seconds or something. So big improvement!

Sorry to insist but in update in February 2012 I was unable to access the Dashboard and now I do not know how to do this update. Thanks to whoever can help me please.

thank you

To address a particular question that will be asked on here.

If you have not enabled SSH access and you can’t get your Dashboard UI to work then, unfortunatly, you’re not going to be able to apply this update and you’ll need to do an R.M.A.

It is possible to get things working but it invovled another computer running Linux and opening up the MyBook Live, installing the drive as a second drive to the Linux computer and running a reocvery script someone else has written, but opening up your MBL will invalidate your warranty.

As to others who may wish to ad additional software to the MBL, just keep in mind that you (and me) don’t know exactly what changed the W.D. engineers made to the Firmware.

I’m waiting for people to start posting on the board because they’ve wrecked their MBL’s stability because they’ve tried to install something else.  :smiley:

How do I apply this firmware?  I cannot log into my MBL on the webui.  I have tried restting the password with the button but it does not work.  There must be a way???

Did you enable SSH access?  If you didn’t and can’t resurrect the Dashboard UI and your MBL is under warranty, arrange an R.M.A.