New Release - Firmware Version 2.3.01 for the WD Sharespace (9/12/11)

All of you - just wan’t to share last state of my SS trouble.

It’s been returned to retailer this week.

After successfull raid rebuild (for unknown reason, unit restarted once while rebuilding, which caused the whole proccess to start again, btw); back on working system, while copying data back from backup, another disk failed (previous hdd failed once, marked some bad sectors, which I was able to get rid of, using some dos wd disk tool (wriring zeroes to whole hdd) = the hdd was acctually ok, only the SS thought it was bad).

Failure of second hdd,  was a definite signal to me to not trust this unit any longer.

I erased it, packed it , and brought it back to retailer.

“Funny” is, that he wasn’t surprised at all - said to me he had a lot of negative feedback + too many warranty claims of this SS product.

Currently I am waiting to get my money back and hopefully will buy another nas (much better rated) from the q… company.

Sorry, but will probably never get back to this forum.

Thank you all, for helping, pushing to the right directions…) - I learned a lot of new things.

Wish I had looked on here before trying to upgrade this morning.  Unit firmware went fine and got message that the unit is rebooting.  Afterthat, the browser timed out and the unit has been unresponsive since.  Nothing answering on the previously set static ip address, WD Discovery finds nothing, scanning the network does not show any devices for the SS.

Not too many people have multiple spare backup drives to handle 4TB of data.  That’s what this unit was for.  However, I have backups of the most precious data elsewhere.  But my problem seems that the unit is simply not connecting to the network to even be able to manage it or do anything.  On startup, it appear all of the LED’s are doing what they are supposed to.  From the looks of it, the SS thinks it is working perfectly fine.

This **bleep**.  Anyone else have any luck?  Can you take it to an authorized service place and have them put the old firmware back on?  Not sure what to do from here.

Thanks.

Used the reset on the back and then the Discovery was able to located it.  However, the services (as outlined in detail of this thread) are not running such as http, ssh, etc.

Not sure where to go from here without trying the radical linux box route.  Has anyone heard a response from WD on support tickets?  Is there a way for them or an authorized tech to help on this?

The response I got from WD is to file an advanced RMA for my SS.

My new SS will arrive today…

Are they getting you one back with the data still on it?  There has to be a way to plug the unit in and fix the firmware which is all that this issue is.  Http, ssh, etc. is simply not running and there is no way to access the unit to change that.  I would hope they have some method of manipulating it without having to can the data.

After updating firmware, that seemed to be fine, I reboot my Sharespace and gone it was. http is gone and the smb is gone. I can´t reset it with resetbotton on back so the only way to reboot it is to unplug the power but that doesn´t help eather.

I just want to downgrade to previous firmware. I run Mac OS Lion and that was also my reason for update. 

I have the same problem as a few of you seem to have.

I cannot get to the device at all with the Browser and it’s IP address.

Also, no good mapping the drive. Just doesn’t connect.

I can get to the TwonkyMedia server part, but this is no good to me, as I don’t have any data there.

Have called WD support and gone to their level 2 guys, but all they can offer is to use the Linux method to back up the drives and and them put in an RMA. Luckily, it is still under warranty, just.

I think they need to restructure there server interface and at least have a backout method to the previous verson of firmware.

They need to add direct USB connectivity or something so you can get access to the unit when it gets bricked by their firmware.  This is incredibly dissappointing and frustrating.  Most people buy these for backup / redundancy and don’t have another drive of this capacity to backup data when you run a firmware update.  There no solution other than rma and data loss really stinks.

Has anyone had any success attaching four drives into a linux box using raid 5?  I am going to be trying to do this in the morning as my last ditch effort / hail Mary!

Well…  I am hesitant to say, but it appears that I have sucessfully rebuilt the raid 5 array using a computer and a Ubuntu LiveCD.  I am currently transferring the files off of the drives onto my new storage and will take some time as it is around 2.3 TB worth.  Once the transfer is done, I will spend the time to retrace my steps and prepare a more complete and informative tutorial.

I know that I am not the only one with this issue.  I can’t understand why WD hasn’t addressed this.  It had been many weeks since this firmware came out and started bricking units.  I, unfortunately, did not look at this forum prior to my applying the firmware update.  This had to have been a known issue for WD by the time my unit downloaded the firmware and ruined my device.  Why would they not take it down?

I need to give credit to this link: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8874?page=0,1  The info there was invaluable!

You will need a computer with a CD rom drive or usb port to use an Ubuntu bootable jump drive and a hard drive controller capable of handling the number of drives you have.  It doesn’t have to be anything fancy and can even be a system you already have sitting around.  I had to go and buy a four port serial ATA card for $25 at compusa to plug into an old system I had.  No biggy, I guess.  You need to remove the drives from the Sharespace and label them in order from top to bottom.  Attach them to your temporary computer disk controller making sure that you attach them in the same order by adding one at a time, booting and checking the system or controller bios, which ever is applicable.  I recommend you disconnect any other drives from the controller if you are using a functioning system with other existing drives.  You should really be able to do this without effecting the existing system as you should be able to just plug the existing drives back in when you are done.  I am using my network to transfer the files off of the drive onto my new system.  Perhaps you could use an external usb drive and would be faster, but may muck up the drive numbering in Ubuntu.  If you use an external USB drive, I recommend waiting and plugging it in after you have the raid rebuilt.  Note that booting to the LiveCD creates a temporary session of linux and anything you do in that session in terms of configuration is lost on reboot.  If you need to reboot for any reason, you will effectively have to restart.

Once you have the drives from your worthless WD box attached to the temporary computer properly, boot up using the LiveCD and click on the “Try Ubuntu…” to load the operating system.  Once the system is loaded, you will need to load a terminal shell by clicking on Applications->Accessories->Terminal.

To set yourself as the roof user and not have to type “sudo” 1000 tims, once in terminal, type:

sudo su -

You will need to install the raid softward and LVM2 to access the drive partitions.  Type:

apt-get install mdadm lvm2

If the drives are connected properly, they should be the devices as follows:

Drive 1:  /dev/sda

Drive 2:  /dev/sdb

Drive 3:  /dev/sdc

Drive 4:  /dev/sdd

You can check this by typing fdisk -l and it will list the drives and associated partition information.  Each of my drives had four partitions on them and are labeled sda1. sda2, sda3, sda4 for drive 1 and sdb1, sdb2, etc. for the subsequent drives.

Only the fourth partitoin sdx4 is the one with the data and you need to recreate that raid array.  You do this by typing:

mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdc4 /dev/sdd4

You should get a message that the raid is functioning.  You can check the status by typing:

mdadm --detail /dev/md0

and

cat /proc/mdstat

Your raid is now reassembled, but the WD uses lvm2.  If you try to use the standard mounting with autodetect you will get an error of unknown fs type LVM2 something or other.  This is where it gets tricky and I need to go back and recreate to know the exact steps.  You need to use the utilities from LVM2.

To get the volume name type:

vgscan

The volume on yours should be the same.  Mine was called “vg0”

Then type:

vgchange vg0 -a y

You should get a message telling you that your logical volume is active.  From here you only need to mount the drive to the file system.  My logical volume was called “lvo”

First create a directory to mount to by typing:

mkdir /mnt/raid

I am not sure if this is necessary, but I went ahead and completely opened up the permissions to the folder by typing:

chmod 777 /mnt/raid

Then mount the drive to that folder by typing:

mount -t auto /dev/vg0/lv0 /mnt/raid

Your files should now be accessible through the file browser.  Go to Places->Computer, then click on “File System” on the left.  Then, navigate to the mnt/raid folder in the main window.  I found that there were strange permissions on my files so I went ahead and removed all restrictions using the chmod on the raid drive by typing the following into the terrminal window:

chmod 777 -R /mnt/raid

As I said, I am currently dumping the files onto my  new system as I type.  I wil go back and clean this tutorial up when I get done and possibly add some images, etc.

Hope this helps someone else out!  What a nightmare WD provided me. :smileyvery-happy:

I am having much the same issue as others here - no access to the GUI through IP or name, I can access Twonky on port 9000.

I don’t have a spare box or the knowledge of Linux to do the solutions suggested in this thread, nor do I have the space to do a backup of the files if I did. So, is there any way I can get access to my files or restore my box without losing my data? The box serves as my main iTunes library and you know how Apple is about re-downloading purchases. *sigh*

I do know I can’t connect through http, ftp, or Windows sharing. WD-Discovery sees the box (had to use the reset button on the back before it or my router could see it), but can’t configure or browse the shares. About all I can do is turn on/off the discovery LED.

I don’t think this is under warranty any more, so I don’t know if calling WD would do any good. Doesn’t sound too promising from the posts in this thread. :frowning:

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Update: I can’t access through SSH either. Connection refused. :frowning:

Flynn

Joined the brick club today.  I didn’t read these unfortunate experiences until too late.  I’ve had nothing but good luck for the past few years updating my SS firmware.  Yesterday I tried the latest update and now I’m in the “brick” club.  I have no solutions to offer, and I’m awaiting WD tech support. Also, I  apparently have no ssh access.

My question is since my unit is still under warranty would a single new hard drive from WD containing working firmware fix my problem?  In other words, pull one drive and install a new one from WD and let the RAID rebuild.  Hopefully, not losing my data in the process.  I could then erase the old drive and send it back.  I’m not a LINUX person and would probably make things worse with any of the well explained fixes here.  I guess I’m looking for the right question for WD support when I finally get to someone who “cares”.

Edit: Tech support says all is lost and are shipping me a new unit overnight.  I have 30 days to get my data off the old one and ship it back at no charge.  I accepted their tems after hours of reading the horrific posts and considering the alternatives.

Another useless FW upgrade for the Sharespace !?

When is WD going to actually improve this product ?? 

IDEA #1:

Fix the Media Server issues with streaming Thumbnails over the network. If you are unable to come to an agreement with Twonky  to implement the !!! FREE !!! Upgrade from version 5 to version 6 the how about WD find new Media server software for the SS that works !!!

P.S.

If you don’t own a WD SS then I would not buy one at the moment until WD improve this product. !!

Since I don’t have a machine with enough SATA port or power connections I am buying a four port eSATA dock and will try to recover my data that way using dudemanbubba’s tutorial. Fingers crossed that this will work… :slight_smile:

Edit: fixed mis-spelled username.

Flynn

After creating a ubuntu USB drive bootable (with YUMI from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/)) I followed the instructions from dudemanbubba and hey presto … access to my precious files!

Thanks dudemanbubba for the research and instructions!

I’m able to see all four drives in the enclosure and was able to access the RAID using a trial edition of a Windows NAS recovery program. So, I’ve now booted into Ubuntu (I’m using a netbook with Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.10 in a Wubi dual boot). I did have an error when trying to rebuild the RAID array, but I think I know where it went wrong. The enclosure’s controller order is the reverse of the ShareSpace. I’ll either swap the drives in the box or swap the order of drives on the command line tonight and try it again. Fingers crossed once more… :smiley:

Flynn

Glad I was able to help El_Deano…  I am glad everything worked for you!

I was concerned about wether or not the tutorial was 100% correct.  My network connection was so slow that it took almost four days to copy the info and the copy failed near the end leaving 500GB uncopied.  The Ubuntu box had locked up and I had to reboot.  At that point, I was unable to rebuild the raid so I am not sure what happened.  The mdadm --assemble would work find and /proc/mstat said everything was great.  All of the other commands went as shown as well until the final mount command.  Nothing I did would allow me to mount.  I kept getting a bad superblock error.  If it worked for you, I assume that my machine lock up caused some sort of corruption on the drive.  The good news is that I had another copy of the data that hadn’t copied.

Also, to follow up… Once I gave up on trying to recover the final files, I zeroed out the drives and reformatted them on the Ubuntu machine.  I then put them back into the Sharespace box, powered up and the unit rebuilt the raid and was like new.  Sold it on Ebay for almost $300!

I still can’t believe WD hasn’t fixed the firmware update and people are still bricking units.  Can anyone from WD explain this behavior?  Wow.

Just wanted to give you a big “Thank you” for your tutorial, dudemanbubba. I was able to mount the array and am now moving data off of it onto several USB portables. It will take some time (the enclsure is also USB) but as long as nothing hoses the drives, I think I’ll be okay.

The sticking point I had was that the mdadm --assemble command kept failing with a superblock not found error. Couldn’t figure out what was going on until I started looking at the results of fdisk -l again. I realized it was already listing the RAID volume in the list, so I just picked up from the commands past there and everything went fine.

Thanks again for your post. It was a very big help! Mrs. Flynn and I are grateful your experience helped us reclaim our data.

Flynn

dudemanbubba, I wanted to give you a big “Thank you” for your tutorial

My enclosure crashed hard - network port failed work, reset didnt work, etc - no response from SSH to the IP, Device discovery with the software failed.

WD sent me a new device but told me I had to go to a data recovery center to get my data back. When I asked them if I had to tell the recovery center anything special about the raid or the ShareSpace device - they said “no”, which led me to believe I could get the data back myself . I looked around and found this post.

Using your tutorial, I was able to mount the array and am now moving data off of it.

Thank YOU!

Glad I was able to help people out.  Just checking to see if there were any hiccups or notes that I should incorporate into the tutorial.  I added a HOWTO in the Sharespace group and figured I would update it if needed.

Later! :smileyvery-happy:

am also facing the same issue, 

I hve gone to “advanced mode” and Select “Update” then  click on “Check for new Firmware” 

after “Download” and “upgrade” , no erorr, smoothly upgraded with 

100% of " Progress of Kernel Updates"

and 100% of  “Prpgress of system update”

then “Please wait while system is rebooting”

But waited 30 mits after 2,3 hour but no response from device, 

after there is no connection from the device,

no response from WD customercare

I have some data… inside the drive

Please Help