New Release - Firmware Version 1.14.09 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/27/13)

I have both the wd tv live hub and wd live hub. Have been running the live hub as the server with my usb and the live in my room. Very occasionally I get the “fatal error” come up, and I have learnt that this happens when I leave either player on for a long time dormant. Since updating I have had this error more times within 24 hours than I have had in the previous year owning both these devices. It’s happening on both devices so its definitely the firmware. It’s happening so constantly that I’ve given up and have taken my laptop into my bedroom and plugged my usb into it as my wdtv is now useless.

I found some  very old bug. I came across MKV with 720p VC-1 video track. On all WDTV fw versions video playback is jerky. I tried frame matching on/off. BTW, it is scaled to 1080pby player to match native TV resolution.

Never mind, the content was encoded with crasy rates for 720p 12.3 Mbps. Once it was reduced to more appropriate bitrate (4Mbps) - it plays smoothly in 1080p/i, but in 720p60 is seems like it is dropping every second frame, like “old” film.

Overall, WD finally made firmware (years later) that has all new features, but plays local content as good as  originally released fw (v.1.01.43). Still, I only upgraded 2 units, the other 2 units are on 1.01.43 or whatever last number is (do not remember).

Deleteing Videos in MediaLibrary using “Options”-Button and selecting “delete”, actually deletes viedofile, metathumb and xml-description but does NOT delete corresponding entry in Media-Library. Updating Media-Library manually is necessary to complete. 

Deleting video files DID work in previous firmware (1.13.18)…

Hello, sorry for the translation but I am French and I am in France
Since this update I can no longer listen deezer more than 30 seconds, I am yet subscribe to deezer long, everything works with windows
Can someone help me. Thanks

I upgraded my WDTV live for a 3rd gen WDTV Live Streaming recently. It came out of the box with the 1.11 firmwware. Everything seems to work for the most part, so should I just leave it there and continue to ignore updates, as I have it set now?

That is my instinct as my WDTV Live seemed to degrade with the last few updates to the firmware.

Not really.

Most want to go and blame the device when things go wrong and totally ignore all the hardware inbetween…computer…nas…routers and so on.

Plus its always better start fresh rather then upgrade over old.

I  factory reset my device and then upgrade it from usb and shockingly enough most of the issues reported dont happen

Not to say the device is perfect its got issues like the media library one but no device is perfect.

A person can try the download and upgrade and if that doesn’t work they can do the factory reset and usb.

The later isn’t really a hardship and often fixes issues people are having.

Do not make assumptions that all users with issues are n00bs and its down to user errors.

I have done 2 full resets and although it acts slightly different after both the issues I mentioned in my 2 previous posts remain.

Imagine I had to format my PC every time I had a Mobo Bios update, it would be a total joke.

I could accept having to do a full reset and set it all up again if the FW was ground breaking but they are not so far (owned mines from Dec 2012), and break more than they fix, just look at amount of posts for this new update and its only been a few days.

2 Likes

Hmm after the latest update i ahve a strange problem.

The WD live can see all my things on my Qnap NAS. 

But when i select a vidieo file i just get the “Loading” circel. 

Then i pull the power or make a restart it plays fine.

Eney ides?

EDIT: Hmm just tryed a reset did NOT help.

Regards Daniel nad thanks

1 Like

Could someone explain this :“Resolved YouTube Videos spinning arrow when pressing FF/RW during video play.”  I don’t understand…

Is related to this two issue\bug? I think no, because both are not yet closed.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/ISSUE-1-13-18-Youtube-videos-fast-forward-doens-t-work/idi-p/539719

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/YouTube-Leanback-Time-Jumping-Super-Slow/idi-p/538716

Thanks for your attention ^^

helmutcheese wrote:

Do not make assumptions that all users with issues are n00bs and its down to user errors.

I have done 2 full resets and although it acts slightly different after both the issues I mentioned in my 2 previous posts remain.

Imagine I had to format my PC every time I had a Mobo Bios update, it would be a total joke.

I could accept having to do a full reset and set it all up again if the FW was ground breaking but they are not so far (owned mines from Dec 2012), and break more than they fix, just look at amount of posts for this new update and its only been a few days.

Surely you are not equating a reset with formatting a hard disc! That would indeed would be nOObish.

What does your question have to do with issue?  :neutral_face:

And yes its removes all my settings and its a PIA to set up again.

Just updated. Now I can’t play MTV files. Wish we’d would be sure their firmware would work before sending it out. Hope a fix comes soon.

Im trying here to

Hey all.
I really need youre help.

I have a WD live and a Qnap NAS.
All my movies and so on are on my Qnap NAS.

After the latest update 1.14.09 i cant play eney of my files when my WD live have been in standby (not totally shut off)

But after a normal restart (power plug put or restart in the Setup menu) it plays fine.
I can fine see my “Movie” “series” folders i can select them and select a movie file but then the loading circel just spins around.

The files i have tryed is jpeg,mp4,mp3,MKV,AVI
BUT when i select .img files (or iso) it plays right away! 

I have tryed to move a .mkv file to my “DVD” folder on my NAS but the circel just spins around.

This i have treyed

Restart my switch
Reset my router
Restart my Qnap NAS
Reset my WD live (from the SETUP and under the WD live)

AND downgrade to Firmware Ver. 1.13.18 but the same problem. And version Firmware Ver. 1.12.14.

When i play the files on my PC from the Qnap NAS everything works fine!

EDIT: When i chose NOT to have DVD Menu to ON it wont play .img files. With menu ON plays fine!

I really hope you can help.

Regards Daniel

Same as bluenenschloss - I can delete the TV show and all the related files are deleted - but the view does not refresh.

Need to go up a level and manually rescan to remove the icon left behind.

Rolled back to 1.13.18 now and its working OK again.

I’ve been hoping that an Amazon Prime / Streaming Video applet would show up sooner or later in the WD, any plans to do so?  I’m really looking at replacing it soon, I’m happier with my Amazon subscription than my Netflix one. 

Having the exact same problem as DanieIPT above. Also running QNAP NAS (TS-212), problem persists with Twonky, PS3 Server and NFS.

Since yesterday I can’t play my avi files, they would stop after 15 minutes and I get a black screen for thirty seconds then a message saying “there is no mmedia content…”. This is after I upgraded the software. I have rollbacked to 1.12 since then but I still have the issue. Help needed.

I have not updated yet because I have read many complaints.

Is it safe to update to this firmware or should we wait?

I would avoid it like the plague… My experience of the new firmware update…  1.14.09

Ok so being reminded to check my updates now and again to ensure I have no playback issues.

I updated to 1.14.09 and all went well and the WD SMP restarted.

Played a couple of older movies Wrapped in MKV format.

They would play anywhere between 2 and 30 minutes then screen would go black and after about 20 seconds it would go back to the movie folder I could then click resume and no problems continues to play for another period of time from where it stopped.

After about the 15th Stop and resume during the film I thought it was time to reset the unit and see if that helped so removed the power plug for 30 seconds and placed back in the SMP.

The issue wasn’t resolved but the film never stopped in the same places.

So I thought enough was enough and went to the official rollback EXE  for my WD SMP to return it to 1.13.18. After installing and rebooting tried the movie again no difference Still stopping for no apparent reason, changed movies still produced the start stop scenario.

So maybe to help WD to pinpoint the issue the firmware in 1.13.18 did not change whatever was changed in 1.14.09 that is causing this problem.

Just to be clear my storage drive and Router have also been reset to check possible issues.

Practically now the update has made my WD SMP unusable, I have hooked my PC backup till a new version of the firmware is released that will deal with the many problems.

System setup…

WD Live SMP

Asus Router ASUS/RT-AC66U (Wired connection to SMP)

WD My Book Live Duo 6TB (Wired connection to Router)

As an additional comment intresting to note there was never an orange wheel or read delay before the movies stop.

Qwelldrin wrote:

I would avoid it like the plague… My experience of the new firmware update…  1.14.09

Ok so being reminded to check my updates now and again to ensure I have no playback issues.

I updated to 1.14.09 and all went well and the WD SMP restarted.

Played a couple of older movies Wrapped in MKV format.

They would play anywhere between 2 and 30 minutes then screen would go black and after about 20 seconds it would go back to the movie folder I could then click resume and no problems continues to play for another period of time from where it stopped.

After about the 15th Stop and resume during the film I thought it was time to reset the unit and see if that helped so removed the power plug for 30 seconds and placed back in the SMP.

The issue wasn’t resolved but the film never stopped in the same places.

So I thought enough was enough and went to the official rollback EXE  for my WD SMP to return it to 1.13.18. After installing and rebooting tried the movie again no difference Still stopping for no apparent reason, changed movies still produced the start stop scenario.

So maybe to help WD to pinpoint the issue the firmware in 1.13.18 did not change whatever was changed in 1.14.09 that is causing this problem.

Just to be clear my storage drive and Router have also been reset to check possible issues.

Practically now the update has made my WD SMP unusable, I have hooked my PC backup till a new version of the firmware is released that will deal with the many problems.

System setup…

WD Live SMP

Asus Router ASUS/RT-AC66U (Wired connection to SMP)

WD My Book Live Duo 6TB (Wired connection to Router)

As an additional comment intresting to note there was never an orange wheel or read delay before the movies stop.

IDENTICAL SCENARIO FOR ME. BUT IT ALSO DOES THE SAME WHEN ACCESSING USB HD TOO.

I HAVE POSTED MANY TIMES BUT HAVE HAD ZERO HLEP FROM WD TO SORT OUT MY TRASHED WD TV.

IT’S ON IT’S WAY BACK FOR A REFUND :smileyvery-happy:

USELESS SUPPORT FROM WD AFTER TRASHING MY UNIT - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER :angry: