New Release - Firmware Version 1.14.09 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/27/13)

JennyTaylia wrote:

IDENTICAL SCENARIO FOR ME. BUT IT ALSO DOES THE SAME WHEN ACCESSING USB HD TOO.

I HAVE POSTED MANY TIMES BUT HAVE HAD ZERO HLEP FROM WD TO SORT OUT MY TRASHED WD TV.

IT’S ON IT’S WAY BACK FOR A REFUND :smileyvery-happy:

USELESS SUPPORT FROM WD AFTER TRASHING MY UNIT - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER :angry:

Jenny This is not WD tech support its a user to user forum. If you want WD tech support you have to contact them by phone or email.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en

Hi Rich,

As much as I agree with you I think Jenny has some valid points in her argument and is notifying other users of a similar issue for which WD support currently have no answer too… Here is the last comment I received from WD support with regards to a resolution to the problem.

"I fully understand the problem and I will send your case to our administrative department to check what cause the issue.

When I will get respond form them I will contact you back."

Without getting in to anything political here the Technical support assistant has a email address of [Deleted] Technical support not sure!!

Still the more people who voice the issues they have with the latest updates the better chance we will have of seeing a resolution to the issue.

PS if the WD Support and Forum are not linked in one way or another why is it when I reset my password for the community it is also the password for the Tech support login.

If WD are not monitoring this forum closely, they are fools to themselves.

I more or less guarantee they are!  And are probably “Members” in disguise.

I get that it’s an “Owner to owner” forum but with so many owners having the exact same issue, it beggars the question “Why, almost 3 weeks later, has nothing been suggested for a fix, a new patch come out or some comment from WD as to why a roll-back will not undo the damage”

[deleted]

Once you’ve sent back your unit, just buy something different.  Vote with your feet, it hurts their pocket and then they listen!

Good luck

I’m oot!

JennyTaylia wrote:

The SOG Act covers 6 years from the date of purchase, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Oh, boy… Another “legal expert” that neglects to tell anyone that’s only valid in the UK. :wink:

My screen froze while scrolling through pictures, is was like **bleep** :confounded:

Started playing the audio before the vid appeared, once again **bleep** :confounded:

Use to rewind smooth, now there’s anomaly’s

And device has froze freeze while ejecting drive

Use to have a few probs with the other firmware, this seems more unstabe

I just reset back to factory, I’ll see if there’s any improvement

JennyTaylia wrote:

If WD are not monitoring this forum closely, they are fools to themselves.

I more or less guarantee they are!  And are probably “Members” in disguise.

I get that it’s an “Owner to owner” forum but with so many owners having the exact same issue, it beggars the question “Why, almost 3 weeks later, has nothing been suggested for a fix, a new patch come out or some comment from WD as to why a roll-back will not undo the damage”

[deleted]

Once you’ve sent back your unit, just buy something different.  Vote with your feet, it hurts their pocket and then they listen!

Good luck

I’m oot!

Jenny,

We are monitoring this forum.  All the moderators work for WD.  Moreover, we require all our employees to identify themselves on the community.  As a matter of fact, I add a Staff icon to their names.  So, if there are any WD employees posting “in disguise” I don’t know about it.  You have been escalated to our Support department for further assistance.  And someone should be in contact with you soon.  So, if you have anything more to say, please let them know. [deleted]

Sorry all.  I did not realize this was the firmware download thread.  I have reopened it, but do not change the subject line on this thread anymore.  Also, any discussion not relevent to the purpose of this thread will be removed.

Cannot play flv files after update to 1.14.09.  All I get is the spinning arrow for about 10 seconds and then returns me back to the menu.  When I downgrade to firmware 1.13.18. everything works fine and plays all the flv files.  When I upgrade the firmware to the newest 1.14.09 it doesn’t play any of the flv files.  Very frustrating.  Any suggestions beside going back to v 1.13.18?  Thanks in advance.

Today I’ve tried to play the first 1080p mkv file (blu-ray rip) after upgrading my WDTV Live to 1.14.09 and noticed that the embedded PGS subtitles are not being shown. I’ve tested several files and the subtitles are never displayed. In the options screen, WDTV shows all the available subtitles, but they are not displayed when playing the file.

This problem does not happen with mkv DVD rips with embedded VOB subtitles. The VOB subtitles are displayed normally.

PGS subtitles were working before and I don’t remember having changed nothing in WDTV configuration, so I’ve downgraded to firmware 1.13.18. Still no PGS subtitles. Then I’ve downgraded to 1.12.14. No PGS subtitles.

How can I get my PGS subtitles back??

Thanks,

Marcelo

Sorry for the noise. The files I tested were new rips which were packaged with header compression enabled. I’ve remuxed the mkv files disabling header compression and now the PGS subtitles are displayed correctly.

's

Marcelo

The header compression bug has been fixed quite a while ago. As explained in my sticky thread the LIVE needs PGS subs compressed with zlib which automatically happened when you remuxed the file.

Downloading firmware goes to 100%, then I get error New firmware download failed… Tried several times, same error.

Hi All,

I would like any of the community that have issues to please post on this thread what those issues are so we may have WD support know what the effects of update 1.14.09 have been.

My issues are …

1. Playback Crash on MKV files. Multiple Black screen exits during playback followed by drop out to Movie folder.

2. Black screen before Crashing out of played movie.

3. No indication of what the error is as a resume continues the film.

4. On occasions the resume has the movie fast forwarding with no audio.

Please indicate any other issues that you the users have.

Thanks

After loading Update 1.14.09 my WDTV Live crashed after about 45 minutes while streaming an AVI file from my network drive (happened two times).  After restarting the movie, I tried to fast forward (FF) to point where the movie crashed. The FF feature did not work properly, after about 2 minutes the picture froze. I had to remove power from my WDTV unit and reboot.  I tried to FF about 5 times and had the same result each time.  I also tried rebooting the router and network drive.

I’ve encountered 1080p  Video that still runs in background ( audio) even when I’m navigating the menu. It use to stop whenever I hit the home or pre button.

Freezes way more often now, this forces me to unplug device, this act causes me to “unsafely” dismount the drive that holds my media.  I’m getting worried if this can damage my drive…

Was not playing a few formats, until I restarted a few times.

I deleted that wdlive file it inserted on my drive , hoping I could start with a clean slate

I’m still testing it…

I have not had many of the issues described in this thread after updgrading but I have decided to downgrade back to 1.13.18.

The reason is that I tried watching two of the formats of files I use and in both cases (.ts and .mkv) the movies were perfectly fine but after about an hour they suddenly froze, then continued in a jerky fashion.

The problem meant I lost the position in the film, so resume was not an option.

Rebooting and fast forwarding allows some more of the movie to be seen before hitting the same problem.

I am 99.9% certain this was not happening with the older version of the firmware (as long as I avoid fast forwarding, which seems a little unreliable) - if it does happen after downgrading I will repost the fact to this thread.

I use a wired connection and have a Synology NAS containing the movies.  Having just discovered how to make the NAS the master browser my setup seems more or less stable, except for this recent problem.

After updated, Now I can’t play all video files,mkv,ts,avi… what’s wrong with my player?How can i do?:cry:

Is there any solution to the hang when trying to play a video or audio file after a couple of hours use or inactivity? I thought it might be the network but it happens even with the drives plugged directly into the USB ports. This isn’t a new problem with any particular firmware but something longstanding that has never been fixed.

Hey everyone, I am having some issues playing back high Bitrate MKV files. I’m talking about MKV files that have a Bitrate of 30 Mbps or higher. All of the MKV files that have Bitrates below 20 Mbps or in the low 20’s play just fine. The high Bitrate files use to play fine on firmware version 1.03.10. After upgrading to firmware 1.14.09, the device can’t seem to play those 30 Mbps Bitrate files properly. This is exactly what happens. The device will start playing the movie, but then it pauses and this orange circular arrow appears; I’m not sure if that is the device seeking information or what. Sometimes the movie will just freeze and I have to unplug the device from the electricity to get it to work. Here is my setup:

My windows home server 2011 has network shared files that can be accessed by anyone with a server account. I’ve created accounts for all three WDTV devices in my home. All of the devices see the network shared folders on my server and all of them can playback the MKV files that do not have those 30+ Mpbs Bitrates. I’ve tried rolling back to all of the firmwares available with no luck. I’m not sure what else to do at this point. Any suggestions?  

Ever since this update, I have had problems playing files that had played fine before.  Any ideas?

Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 410 MiB
Duration : 8mn 39s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 6 626 Kbps

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom