New MacBook Pro and New WD 4T Element not compatible

I have a brand new MacBook Pro and bought a brand new 4T WD Elements. It does not show up on desktop when I plug it in, but I do see an external drive when I open disk utility. The external drive is named disk2s1. I select the drive, select erase, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When it goes to erase a window comes up that says “Erasing ‘disk2s1’ and creating ‘backup’'. Underneath it says"Erase process had failed. Click Done to continue.” Show details dropdown says: "Unmounting disk, MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation and Operation failed…

Any thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi dragonfly48,

Please refer to the link given below for the instruction on how to format the drive in Mac running high Sierra OS.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=20502&s=

Thanks for the response. My new MacBook has Thunderbolt ports. I bought a hub to be able to connect to USB devices however the WD 4T was not seen in disk utility so I could not format it. What I ended up doing is connecting the WD drive to my old MacBook that does have USB ports and I was able to format for Mac and the use it with the new MacBook.