New G-Drive USB 3.0 4TB - Temperature high

Hi,

I use many external hard drives for video-editing.
A friend recommended G-Drives, so I just bought my first G-technology drive, the 4TB version (G-Drive USB 4TB). This is the Amazon Link: Amazon.com

When I buy a new external drive, I run an extensive sector test on it. Right now, I am using Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for running that extended Scan.

All my external hard drives heat up quite severely during these extended tests. I use CrystalDiskInfo to monitor the temps in real-time. I normally aim a small usb-fan towards the ext. hard drive to cool it down during these tests.

In any case, normally, when I aim the usb fan to the drive during such a test, the temperature goes down very quickly (less than 5 minutes) to an ideal temperature - or, if i remember to start the fan when the test starts, it never gets too hot anyway.

For some reason, this G-Drive is the first drive I’ve ever seen, that does not cool down, even though I’m blasting my USB fan at it. (Actually, it does cool it down a little, but not as much as is normal) Normally, the lowest speed setting on the fan is enough, but right now I’m blasting the drive with max fan speed and it’s only very slowly (over 30 minutes) gone down from 55C to 54, 53, 53, and now 51C. 51C = 124F

Now 51C is above the ideal temperature range.

What gives? I’m guessing this is normal for this type of drive? Or is this a hardware issue?

Any idea why the drive won’t cool down? At least, the temp reading in CyrstalDiskInfo 7.6.0 is telling me the temp is not really going down to a level I’ve experienced with other ext. hard drives. I also just checked the temp with the tool HDDTune- it also states that the temp is 51C, and yellow for caution.

Thank you for taking a look.
Cheers.

The drives are rated for 55-60C range. The G-Drive USB has a different cooling method due to its design and its structured for air flow so it cools quickest if the front and back are not blocked at all.

The REAL reason these drives don’t cool down is that the are actually sitting inside a plastic tray on 5 of the 6 sides of the drive. Even the front and back are plastic and there are NO ventilation holes. The holes you see at the front are purely for aesthetics unlike older G Tech designs.

If you don’t mind voiding your warranty you can open up the case and find out! I did, on both my G-Drives (4 & 6TB models). The drives inside are actually really really good, they are sometimes branded HGST or WD Enterprise Class Data Centre drives. So they are very decent. However putting them inside the plastic tray makes them run really hot and keep them really hot. Before I opened mine up I had SMART readouts where the drives were getting sustained temps of 60-70’C and some short temperature peaks at 84’C!!!

I too had placed an external fan blasting at the case of the G Drive and there is little to no temperature drop as the drive just has no physical way to transfer the heat buildup. The only part inside the drive housing that has metal to metal contact is the shroud that is mounted to the drive controller. Although I doubt this is there for any kind of temperature control. It’s probably electrical shielding and or grounding.

I still own a few older G Tech drives, 2 earlier model GRaids and the previous design G Drive. Both those designs are all aluminium so the disk can conduct heat to the case and then dissipate the heat with either a nice big heatsink that was directly mounted to the disk or a fan in the back of the case that pulled air through the REAL ventilation holes at the front all the way though and out, keeping the units plenty cool.

1 Like

Hey @Tomy1,

Just wanted to say thanks for your reply and thoughts on the matter.
Cool to know they have high quality drives inside.

I’m not an expert and not using my drives 24/7 for work, but 60-70 sustained and a 84C spike seem dangerous to me as well. I haven’t used my drive in a while, but from my old post I gather mine “only” reached 55 under load.

I hear you about plastic vs. aluminum or similar for heat conductivity.

Yea, I also have some older editing drives (different brand) that have an aluminum body that nicely feels cool to the touch when the drive is off and an active, but silent, mini-fan.