MyPassport Wireless USB connection problem on Window 7

Dears Community:
After Window 7 Enterprise (Service Pack 1) update MyPassport Wireless stopped working correctly, I am able to see the external disk mapped over the window explorer but I cannot able to create a new folder or edit any file and folder, and each time that I connect via USB MyPassport to the laptop with Window 7 this request me do a Scan and Fix (Recommended) over the external disk to repair possible errors, I have proved with the two options (Automatically fix file system error) and (Scan for Attempt recovery of bad sectors) but none of ones perform well, when the process finished the issue continue. Via WiFI this problem doesn´t exist, I am able on Dashboard and MyPassport mapped as “Public” on window explorer, and in this way I am able to create and edit any file and folder.

MyPassport wireless has exFat format that is the factory formart. I always disconnect in a safe way the disk or turn off the laptop with the WD drive connected. MyPassport Wireles is 2TB and any scan and check process is very slowly it take more than 12 hours. 

For other hand I have ran the Test Support on Dashboard but not deteting no error, also I ran Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows WD app and also not found any error.

This problem is the second time it occurs, the last time a reformatted the disk with exFAT and the issue was solved, but now it’s back and I am not sure whats is the real reason and why window tool is not capable to detect and fix also WD tools. Maybe has to do with a window security issue and window is blocking some permissions to edit the files and folders via USB connection, or maybe Window update process the WD disk was disconnected in unsafe way and produced this problem again. I repeat that through WiFi connection this problem doesn´t happen.

Perhaps formatting instead of exFAT using NTFS do it more robust, what think about this? Also I have heard some users that using NTFS format had problems with WiFi connections.

Please any idea or similar support case contact me or share with actions to solve.

Br, Rodrigo

I suspect that the Windows Update may have cause the error. If you do not need EXFAT formatting for use on Windows and Mac, I would format the Passport to NTFS. I just have to mention that formatting will erase any data on the drive.

Hi Timothy, I did this, I reformatted WD MyPassport Wireless using NTFS format, and didn´t have no problem and I could connect via WiFi through dashboard and mapping the Public directory over window explorer. For now, I hope the problem does not happen again. I also think that in Window Update process the WD Hard Disk was disconnected in unsafe way and this produced corrupted registers and files whence the fail. For this reason, I’d like to have some advices from WD support like:

1.- It’s often that sometimes Windows isn’t capable to dismount the Hard Disk because some process stay running on the laptop, nor WD Quick View tool. So the only alternative left is turn-off the laptop and wait shut down it to disconnect the WD Hard Disk. Is there another option? or procedures to dismount WD Hard Disk in a safe way?

2.-I also known if WiFi capability is turn-on and this is not turn-off in a safe way should bring some problems. What’s the recommendation for this? if I am using WiFi capabilty is recommend for instance turn off from WD Sync Sw Tool?

3.-Why WD Hard Disc come with exFAT format form factory? Whats the reason? I´ll have some disadventage if I use NTFS format?

Thank so much for you support and advice ¡

Br, Rodrigo

1.- It’s often that sometimes Windows isn’t capable to dismount the Hard Disk because some process stay running on the laptop, nor WD Quick View tool. So the only alternative left is turn-off the laptop and wait shut down it to disconnect the WD Hard Disk. Is there another option? or procedures to dismount WD Hard Disk in a safe way?
This is a common issue for any USB connected drive. It is hard to single out a reason for a drive in use issue that can prevent a drive from ejecting. Usually it can be a copy/paste job stuck in memory, an anti-virus scan in progress. Windows can be doing an index search on the drive. I have had success by going into the Device Manager and manually un-installed the USB Mass Storage Device driver and then let Windows install a fresh driver from the installed .CAB files.

2.-I also known if WiFi capability is turn-on and this is not turn-off in a safe way should bring some problems. What’s the recommendation for this? if I am using WiFi capabilty is recommend for instance turn off from WD Sync Sw Tool?
If you are connected to the drive via WiFi, access the dashboard on the Passport and turn off the WiFi from the WiFi menu.

3.-Why WD Hard Disc come with exFAT format form factory? Whats the reason? I´ll have some disadventage if I use NTFS format?
This is our only drive formatted in exFAT. The engineers decided that they wanted the drive to be the most compatible with both Windows and Mac out of the box. The only disadvantage in formatting to NTFS is that if you plug the drive into a Mac computer, it will be “read only” and you will not be able to run a Time Machine backup to the Passport.