Mypassport red flashing lights

I see in the manual it says if you are getting alternating red flashing lights to conatct WD support. How do I do this and or what can I do try and reset my drive to work correctly. I can connect it via USB and access all my information but cannot work get the drive to work correctly when it not directly connected to the computer. WIFI does not work at all either.

When I once got this condition, I rebooted the MPW to factory defaults, and it cleared up, so this is how you do it:

System Restore (No UI):

*Do NOT have an SD card in the drive.

1. Power on device. Wait till both lights are solid (Fully Booted)
  2. Hold both buttons for 10 seconds (or until the device reboots)
  3. When it boots up it will be in a fresh state, with the exception of the drive. The drive is not touched with this restore.

Since your lights are not solid, wait until the unit has stablized if you just turned it on, then try above.

If this doesn’t clear things up, go to the WD main website page and click on Support tab and go from there.

If you have not dowmloaded the complete User Manual. you can do it from the Support section as well.

I’ve encountered the same problem with my 2Tb wireless drive. Can’t reset settings via control panel because red lights flash and never become blue as they should. No wi-fi network is created to connect to.10 sec holding both buttons doesn’t work for me either. Please help!

btw USB mode works properly, all data accessible.

It seems no one wants to touch this thread, I’ll take it on again.  You see, I was dumb enough to set mine off like this twice already, (Second time just a week or so ago.,) but this time I know how it happened and how I got out of it… Maybe you did what I did.

I was resetting my MPW to defaults after a new firmware, but I forgot to TURN ON the MPW before I did .  It must be ON to use the two-button reset.  But, I did it with power off and the dual red flashing LEDs took off to flashing.  I waited a few moments to see what would happen and in a minute or less, it actually came on w/wifi LED, I knew it was on,now, so I did the two-button reset again. once or maybe twice, and the red lights started flashing a bit slower.  Another minute or two passed and I saw the wifi LED flashing white rapidly, as if it was installing firmware. 

It eventually settled down and I got both LEDs on correctly.  I let is churn a while until the drive seemed to go through some procedures of booting further, and then I turned it off.  Waited a few moments and turned it on again and it turned on OK again.  I did this again and got good results,

So now it seemed to be working OK, and I looked at the MPW dashboard in the web browser, and the firmware DID get re-flashed to a very early version, v1,100,57. The current one was blown away, so it appears early firmware is hard-coded in the MPW so if something like this happens there is a fall-back firmware and the MPW does not get bricked.  Anyway, I re-installed the current firmware again, crossed my fingers and all went well.  When I looked in the dashboard again it had the current F/W, I reset the MPW again correctly. It booted up fine and with the new firmware still there and it has been working fine since.

Go for it, and good luck!

Nothing helps for me. Red LEDs keep blinking. 10 second pushing buttons takes no effect at all neigher when the drive is on nor off. I’ve created a support case, but WD keeps silence. That’s a shame!

CALL WD!!

I had the same issue with my MPW from the first day I bought it.

After 3 hours (3) of testing with WD tech logged in to my PC ,they finaly came to the conclusion that the unit was defective and needed to be replaced.

They agreed to ship me a new one  on the condition that I provided the with a deposit on my credit card  until they received my unit in return.

Photosoftimage wrote:

I had the same issue with my MPW from the first day I bought it.

After 3 hours (3) of testing with WD tech logged in to my PC ,they finaly came to the conclusion that the unit was defective and needed to be replaced.

They agreed to ship me a new one  on the condition that I provided the with a deposit on my credit card  until they received my unit in return.

Sounds like an ADV RMA. It’s their fastest replacement method.